Worth it to restore? What are your guidelines?

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good morning all! Long time member here. A lot more active back in the day. I have a 1990 Cobia 2250CC. 22 foot cabin cruiser. I love this boat, and it has seen me through all types of life. Went from a single bachelor to married with 2 young kids.

I’ve been running it for years even though the interior is pretty bad and the floor has rotted and is soft in many places. I’m afraid of what I’m going to find when I open it up.

What are your guidelines on restore or scrap? It pains me to say that and genuinely hurts my heart, but I don’t have the space or time to undertake a restore, so it’ll probably stay winterized for yet another year (been so for the past 2 winters). I could totally de-winterize and run it, but like I said afraid of what I will find.

Thoughts on what your guidelines are on repair?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Only YOU can make that decision. You seem to really like the boat and have lots of sentimental feelings for it. If you really want to keep it and use it safely, it has to be restored to be safe. And that certainly will involve lots of work and money.

Can it be done? Absolutely, and even though it will take work, once finished, it will be handed down to other family members for sure. But again, only you can make that ultimate decision. Maybe you could get your once young kids involved and make it a true family project. The help and younger energy surely would help and then they will most certainly want it kept in the family. Just a thought!

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Ditto
I'm restoring a boat that probably has no good reason commercially to be restored... but I did it just because I wanted to. :)
If the boat means something to you, imo it's worth it. :thumb:
Good luck and I'm subscribed to watch how it goes!

vetting

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any pictures? I have a 89 Cobia 265FC. Boat is built like a tank with a super thick hull and transom. Im replacing all of the bilge/engine stringers right now. If its mechanical sound, its definitely worth keeping and restoring. You wont find another boat with as much solid glass as a cobia from that era.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its simple.

if your emotionally attached to it.... restore it.

if you wouldnt shed a tear if it was stolen or smashed by a meteor..... scrap it.

I personally vote restore it.

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You guys are awesome! Thank you. Thanks for the tips on the Cobia fiberglass too. That’s really good to know. It’s mechanically sound (or was last time I ran it). I’ll try and attach a pic.

Attachments

• photo314036.jpg
    photo314036.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0