patching 1/4in holes in the hull worth paying $700.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think he was just typing LOUDLY for us older members- not yelling 😉
ya bluviper we all started where you are.
my first “real” boat too and I was where you are a year and a half or so ago.
you will learn a ton from Guys on here (I know I did and still have lots to learn)
do it right, learning along the way.
lots of helpful experienced members on here to guide you through it all.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IF you are going to operate this fishing boat under full power and in deep water, you must ensure that it's safe to operate. The stuff under the deck and the Transom that the motor hangs on are VERY important to the safety of the boat. we KNOW from experience the frustration you have and the desire to get on the water but...Better safe than sorry really applies here and should be heeded. You MIGHT be able to just patch the holes with Bondo, and get on the water quickly but if you run into trouble on the water, it's a LOT different than having car trouble on dry land.

Based on your pics of the hull bottom, I'm betting that your have a LOT more issues than just the holes. If the boat is waterlogged then she won't perform as she's supposed to and if the Stringers, Bulkheads and transom have issues you could have Catastrophic consequences. In the long run it's your boat, your life. We can only advise from our experiences and knowledge. You'll decide what YOU thinks best for you.

hogbare35

Seaman
Bondo brand makes a filler that is just as good as 3M 46012 filler. The 3M is easier to sand than the bondo brand filler.
John

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Bondo bondo oh bondo...…………...talc powder oh bondo>>>>absorbs water....oh bondo oh bondo

Bluviper7

Cadet
Im not yelling sir ,
if anything, i am anxious to get on the water. Thanks guys i really appreciate the feedback. Im glad i join this site. Im looking forward to learning more.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont care what the filler is..... the bottom of that boat needs glass work long before filler work, and the glass work can not commence until the rotten foam and other stuff is first cleared out.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Im not yelling sir ,
if anything, i am anxious to get on the water. Thanks guys i really appreciate the feedback. Im glad i join this site. Im looking forward to learning more.

Blu , that is a good attitude to have in wanting to learn . Heck we all started somewhere and had to pick up info as we went ..
The guys are giving sound advise . Sometimes it comes off as being harsh but I know these guys just want to lead you in a good safe direction .
‘Take some more pics of the whole boat from different angle inside and out . Read a bunch of the sticky’s .. Most everything we preach are covered there in some fashion.. Then if your not sure about something just ask us . Then we can help ...
Btw , the comment about shouting was just because ya forgot to turn your caps lock off and everything was in capital letters ... I hate when I do that . I HAVE TO TRAIN MYSELF TO LOOK UP EVERY NOW AND THEN ... :lol:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Bondo brand makes a filler that is just as good as 3M 46012 filler. The 3M is easier to sand than the bondo brand filler.
John

A few years back, I did extensive research on Bondo Products. Not sure if they've changed their formula, but back then I was informed by their Chemists that they used Talc as their main thickening ingredient. They did NOT recommend using it for repairs below the water line, and due to the constant WET environment for boats it also can have issues in other areas of the boat Polyester resin is NOT Waterproof. It's HIGHLY water resistant and tests have shown that it takes Many Many years of total immersion in water for it to absorb very minute particles of water. But if you add Talc to the mix it does magnify the problem and can cause more severe breakdown of the mixture. True Marine fillers use silica base products witch will not absorb water but rather repels it.

Bluviper7

Cadet
So there is no transom damage its hard as a brick and he said my deck is good. He also said he will fiberglass my holes . :joyous:

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Core drilling samples? What about all the wet foam? If it’s full and of water any repair is futile. You could easily be a couple hundred pounds heave with water AND (not yelling 😉) you would be sealing moisture under the decking and causing more rotting in the future
mid not great but do it smart.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Who is he ? And how did he check the transom ?
Redtruck is correct . Without drilling core samples you really don’t know the condition of the transom or stringers .
You mentioned before that water was coming out of the holes that you put the bondo in . That is telling us that the foam is probably water saturated . That’s adding weight and trapping moisture under the deck ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Simple fact...There are No Shortcuts when it comes to fixing Boats the right way! You can always find someone to fix the visible damage but that doesn't mean its safe. The expertise and Experience here on this forum is Vastly better than anywhere. But again it is your boat and you can do with it as you see fit.

Bluviper7

Cadet
So its like patching a hole in a log but the log is full of water, correct? I want it done right!!! I will send him a text on Monday and ask him before he starts. I hate I dont know anything about boats. Because i would do it myself!!! The right way!!

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you really want it right and safe then listen to the advice you get on here.
i started about a year and a half ago with no knowledge or experience with boats and would be lost without the guidance and assistance of guys on here.