Hyde Kanoe fiberglass repair

dr45701

Recruit
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ So I just bought a small Hyde Kanoe (same company that makes drift boats). A previous owner had damaged the boat in two places and made some shoddy fiberglass repairs. The repairs are functional but not aesthetically pleasing. I have read up a bit on how to repair fiberglass by

1. Wiping down repaired sections with acetone. Grinding out damaged glass.
2.cutting fiberglass patch/es to fill out damaged area.
3. Wet hull with resin, wet fiberglass, lay fiberglass, cover with peel ply wet out.
4. Sand and sand some more.
5. Wipe down with acetone, apply filler/ fairing compound to fine tune/ blend in with existing structure
6. Sand , clean, gel coat etc...

Would this work for me?

The last picture shows a crack in the floor. There is a patch on the outside as well, functional but once again not the prettiest. I assume that this could be due to aging glass. Is there a way to reinforce this? Possibly by adding another layer(s) of glass to inside? The floor seems kind of thin and I worry about the hull rupturing since I don't know exactly how this happened (maybe it just fell off the top of their car?) Maybe this is just overthinking it. I don't think there is a wood core at all on any of the boat (maybe adding some marine ply and glassing in would achieve added strength) on floor. What weight/ type of glass should I use? Woven roving? Chopped strand? Layers of both?

I primarily run in rivers with sand/gravel/ mud bottoms and had contemplated coating bottom in graphite layer as well. Any input on this would be appreciated as well.

Finally, there is a small transom on back (accepts up to 5hp) the way this is designed it seems that the side material is independent of top and has separated to fix this separation would I fillet the seams with "peanut butter" which is wood flour mixed resin? I currently do not have pictures but will try to remember to take some tomorrow.

I'm going to continue to read up on fiberglass repair in the meantime while I patiently await any input/ feedback! Thanks for looking!

P.S. if anyone knows anything about these boats/ any experiences with them please let me know!

Last edited:

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Never really understood why but I don't think you can post pics without a few posts.
Go to some threads and post a smiley face or some other drivel and you should be able to post pics here then.

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Screenshot_20190517-221946.pngScreenshot_20190517-222028.pngScreenshot_20190517-222018.png

Not sure if you can see these in original post or not. This is my old account I had forgot about when ordering new people. Just screen shots from CL ad. I'll try to remember to take a few pictures tomorrow and upload. Thanks!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Cool little skiff. First I would sand down those patch areas to see what was or what wasn't done. Who repaired it looks like didn't take the next step to sand out repair.
Maybe ok underneath and you would need to fair and repaint.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I would patch from both sides . Grind out the old patches and tapper back a bit all the way around the patch . Then choose poly or epoxy . It looks like they put a rattle can paint job on it so I would sand most of that off and repaint .
‘Depending on poly or epoxy will tell you which cloth to use .

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all the input! Always glad to have this forum around whenever I need something :) Here's a photo of bottom of hull and also a photo of separation at transom ( boat is on its side). It almost looks like they just sealed in the past with silicone, wondering if 5200 would be par for the course or is it primarily used as adhesive? It looks like the whether may be cooperative and I can start work sometime this week. Since I've never done this before what are (dis)advantages of polyester vs. epoxy? Any recommendations on products? Also what is anyone's experience with QuikFair?

Thanks again!

Screenshot_20190518-202202.pngScreenshot_20190518-202932.png

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
After you dig into the meat of the products in the marketplace, some pricing, techniques, vids and a general understanding of product and uses.....the world is your oyster!!
So with new researched info directions for how to help you are easier for members here.
millions of places to pull info then hit up with questions.
That is a cool skiff. It will let you into a lot of places typical boats cant' go.

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks kcassells! After a little bit of searching I'm leaning towards quick fair and total boat 5:1 epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth.
on a side note, It has spots for oar locks and I hope to get a pair of discounted Sawyer's to boot.

Only in it about $300 as of now so can't complain with spending $100 on quick fair, epoxy and cloth. I think I will use the 5200 on transom seam since I'd like the seal between cap and hull to be permanent. In between that or 4200. If I do decide to completely sand and refinish hull I may use resin and wood flour.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
After you sand out what's there post some pics. Cabosil a good filler build up. Called Peanut butter. You make it to the density you want.
I have to research but wood flour may not be good use for below water line.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nothing wrong with going with epoxy ! Not sure about the wood flour but it may be ok with epoxy idk ..
‘Is the crack at the transom at the bottom ? Like 2 separate pieces made that way ? You want that to be pretty strong if your hanging a motor on it ....
edit: looked back at pics so the crack is just the joint where the top cap slips over the transom .
‘A good clean up with some 5200 I think would be fine . Is the cap mechanically fastened to the hull ?

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks again! I read up briefly a while back on some bateau forums and those guys were using the resin woodflour mix to fillet inside seams. Not sure if they were using vinyl, poly or epoxy I'll have to reread some of the builds.

Sphelps- yeah I couldn't find a good way to show detail of gap with image size limit. But yes, it's where cap meets transom. I don't think they used any fasteners at all the entire way around it just looks like it has been glued. That's the only spot I noticed any separation tho. I think I'll try the 5200 route once I get the gumption here shortly.

Kcassells- hopefully this evening or later this afternoon I will start working on it and post some pics. Thinking about using Dremel and 100 grit to get bulk out then smooth up with 220 maybe with an intermediate 160/180 sanding. I ordered the epoxy and quick fair last night, hoping it should be here by Tuesday. Off to research cabosil!

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's the top repair uncovered. I'm going to start sanding and grinding. They didn't sand at all before they applied previous patch. Not even sure they used resin on top. Looks like they may have just laid a few fiberglass strips and painted Screenshot_20190519-155100.png

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The red is paint right ? Just grind down to good clean glass . I would say a good 6 or so inches around the crack .. An angle grinder with the 36 grit flap disks would make quick work of it ...

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I started with Dremel.... Slow work. Grabbed an orbital with 80 grit going to try that after dinner. Hopefully I'll get cap section sanded out and start on bottom. I may leave the patch they put inside for now as it seems to be pretty well bonded. But outside patch looks like it may be just as bad as the one on the cap.