1989 Brendella, needs stringers and deck...is the hull worth it though?

Good luck and I'll be following along to see how you progress.

Thanks, I'm sure the support I get here will be the difference in me actually doing this or not

I chatted with a rep for Nida Core and he said you could use it for floors and stringers with a few layers of 1708. A sheet of NIDA core is about $70 (getting a quote on shipping though). I'm thinking I could do 3 sheets for the floor and 1 sheet for the stringers. $280 doesn't seem horrible. I'm guessing the money will be in the 2-3 layers of the 1708 on the floor instead of just CSM with plywood.

Seacast for the stringers would be like $1k which is pretty pricey. By the time I patch up the rest of the hull, I'm not sure that will buy me much time actually....decisions, decisions.

I think I may be getting ahead of myself. Does anyone know if my boat hull has a laminated core or would it be solid fiberglass? It seems that people only seem to get rotten transoms, floors and stringers, so I'm thinking that is because the hull is solid fiberglass? Just want to make sure I'm not starting something on a hull that really belongs at the dump :confused:

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I'm only posting to bump your thread up because I have only minimal practical knowledge but for me the core I'm rebuilding is not worth the amount of money I'm putting into ... but I just want something that will outlast me.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
From the pictures you sent previously I would say its a conventional construction and not a core

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is something I went back and forth on for a LONG time with my last boat - a '64 Silverline Riviera. In other forums, there were many posts of "ton of money into old boat, not worth, find another hull". Problem on the other side is that it turned out to be an impossible task to find a sound hull within my budget, that didn't have some level of rot. The vast majority of boats that I looked at needed the same level of work mine did - complete gut and rebuild.

Granted, my budget level likely is much lower than most other people here, also likely toeing the line of "I'm too broke to own anything beyond a rowboat", lol. I can't speak for the value of your particular boat, or whether it's worth it to repair. I think a lot of it is very subjective...what's worth it to one guy will be a complete waste of time and money to another.

In my case, I ultimately decided that an old tri-hull fiberglass runabout wasn't worth putting more than $100 in to, parted what I could, and scrapped the rest. The next boat I bought was an '85 Bayliner Bass Trophy, and I went in to it knowing it needed at least a redecking, replumbing of the live wells, and some electrical work. All told, I'll estimate I'll have somewhere around $4,000 in to it, including purchase price.

But on the other side, even $4,000 isn't going to get me into a clean boat without rot or maintenance issues around here (Phoenix, AZ area). While I haven't looked extensively, I suspect that a lot of it is regional, in that in many other areas where bass boats are on every corner, this probably isn't the case. But either way, at the end of all this, I'll end up with a boat set up and configured the way I want it, for less money than what it would cost to buy one without rot issues...so to me, my boat IS worth putting the time and money in to, whereas I'm sure there are many others who hear "Bayliner", and will think it's not even worth using as an anchor, lol.

My uncle always had bayliners and they honestly have held up quite well.

I appreciate the feedback folks.

I'm guessing conventional construction means that it is solid fiberglass? If that's the case, I think my next step is to get that motor out or remove all the paint from the bottom of the hull to try to assess the integrity of the previous repairs.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
33 year old bass boats WILL have big issues. Never seen one that old that didn't need a full gut repair. Stringers, Deck, and transom. If the Motor is sound then you can probably get by for $4,000 or less. But...I'd HIGHLY recommend that you do a thorough investigation on the deck, stringers and transom. I'm betting you'll find rot and need for major repairs. Not trying to rain on your parade just speaking from a LOT of experience and knowledge gained here on this forum.

Oh ya, I've already confirmed that the floor transom and stringers need to be replaced...trying to figure out if the hull does too hehe

When I pulled the floor I had hoped that the stringers were fine since they are fully fiberglassed, but that was not the case, when I removed the foam I had hoped to find that the hull was sound...now I'm not so sure

$4000 is mighty tempting. It's obviously less than I have into it, but the motor has less than 600 hrs on it and the transmission is also in great shape. I feel like the motor is also only worth that if I can prove it runs which is best proven in the boat, but i need to get it out of the boat for the next phase of inspection.

Are there any recommended resources for supplies (resin and fabric primarily)? Anything to look out for qualitywise? Seems like Total Boat is a little more reasonable than other places online..any thoughts?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Lots of folks have used US Composites for fiberglassing supplies. I believe Iboats carries that stuff, too, so be sure to shop around. If you can find a place locally that stocks that stuff, you can save quite a bit on shipping costs; some of the fiberglassing stuff is subject to special handling costs. Just be sure a local supplier does a lot of business in the resins you want; that stuff has a limited shelf life and you don't want old materials.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
sanding, sanding, sanding.....Getting prepped for some glass and fairing. :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you contemplate owning this boat for several decades then composites would be a viable choice. Most people own a boat for less than 5 years. I'd highly recommend the usual method of Polyester resin coated wood components. If you care for it well and do any needed repairs immediately, the wood core stringers will last for decades.