Grinding down tabbing from hull - how much to grind out?

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,

I have read in other forums/areas about 2 separate disciplines when it comes to replacing stringers... and grinding the old glass out.

I have seen that it is OK to leave a little glass left (maybe up to an inch) so you know where to align the new stringer...
I have also seen some people say they have ground out all the old glass right to the hull...

This may just come down to personal preference as well - as long as your new stringer has good hull contact and the old tabbing does not get in the way?

glass tabbing 1.jpgglass tabbing 2.jpg

Thanks!

ND

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
You need to grind enough to get good adhesion when you tab in your new stringers so lots more.
i ground out all the old tabbing when I was at that point on my build.

chevymaher

Commander
My advice just make it flat enough it doesn't interfere When your doing the new tabbing. There was nothing under the stinger. Tabbing to each side. Once the 2 sides are flat with no valley between them done.

TommyRocker

Seaman
When you see the ground, you've gone too far.
I left a "cup" for the new stringers to sit in. Roughed up around it with grinder for tabs. On one boat I filled the cup with peanut butter, bedded the stringers, then used the excess that squeezed out and my finger(gloved) to create the fillet. Then tabbed. On another I did the same but used pl premium instead of peanut butter. Was much faster and easier.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
In MY opinion, ther is no one way only doing this. There is no right way and wrong way. I ground my entire hull because I had hull breaches that I wanted to remove and then CSM the entire hull before installing any stringers. So I ground every thing basically flat and smooth. Just remember don't cut corners if you plan to make this boat yours for a long time after the rebuild. JMHO

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I could still "see" where the stringers sat and where they were originally on the hull even with all the tabbing ground and gone. For me it would have been better if I had left a little lip where the DECK was tabbed in and then grind that out lastly when needed. I'm sure each boat is different but I've seen many that have a "shadow" of where the stringers were on the hull even when they've been all ground out so no real need to leave a lip imo.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IMHO when you see a distinct Pink or salmon color your down to good glass. That's far enough

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I realize you are new to these forums. However, you really need to start your very own thread and then request ideas suggestions and any helpful instructions. Posting in someone else's thread is highly frowned upon. So if you too need help, start up your very own project thread and ask away... We would be glad to assist you too.