Noob polishing questions

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thought I had this figured at but as I researched items to buy got confused. I have a 92 searay that has some oxidation. Bought the Mequiers kit with oxidation remover, polish and wax. However as I researched pads for my Dewalt polisher I got stumped on what to buy. Do you use wool for the oxidation remover, cotton for polish? What do you use for the wax? Can you use foam pads instead, for the 3 steps? If I can find hook and loop pads, can you just use the bonnets. If so how do they attach? Can you use a none hook and loop pad with a hook and loop backing plate? If you use wool pads do you risk more swirl Mark's?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

chevymaher

Commander
I use harbor freight wool pads. It you got swirl marks it just means your not done yet. As for wax opinions are like you know what. Just pick one with UV protection.

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you use the HF wool for both oxidation and polishing? Do you apply wax by hand? Wool feels aggressive for applying wax? Thanks for your input!

chevymaher

Commander
Oxidation depending on the level of it. Sanding may be needed if it is bad. I used the pad for buffing. I hand wax mine. I use ardex ocean polymer. Work is over using that. rub it on and whipe it off with a towel.

Once I finish buffing it just needs a UV Protectant.

That is my way. Takes a couple hours to wax I do mine twice a year. In the spring and fall before the snow. But the directions say once a year is enough in salt water. I believe them. Stuff is amazing. I started using it on my trucks van and chevelle.

I painted all my life. And wow this stuff takes all the work out of waxing. Hides swirlmarks, small scratches. You must see it to believe. I got all kinds of various paste waxes on the shelf that will never be opened again.

FlippinOut

Cadet
Funny that I just got the last of the items on my list to do this too.

I’m following this guy’s video to a T, including purchasing the exact part numbers. Why? I don’t know, I like his videos and I trust him.

https://youtu.be/ZexSavaT4tY

Im trying to decide whether to wet sand it now and then apply the compound later. My boat is outside in the rain right now and I can’t move it since the motor is hanging on a hoist right behind it. Here’s why:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...-repair/10737316-here-i-go-pouring-my-transom

The rain would make wet sanding easy, but I can’t put the compound on for another week or so.

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
NatedoggAz for the links!

Flippin out I have watched that same video and I agree I thought it was a good video. Hopefully weather cooperates this weekend so I can get the last of spring stuff done.

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This pic was taken during the oxidation removal using the Meguiar's kit - just the oxidation removal alone yielded these results...

Oxidation on one side and shiny on the other:

oxidation removal.jpg

FlippinOut

Cadet
Did you get this job done, OP? I wet sanded mine last weekend. 1000, then 2000, then 3000. I’ll admit, my oxidation was pretty darn bad and I used my electric sander w/ the 1000 to cut it. Kept it good and wet. Did the 2000 and 3000 by hand. It really shined it up. Now for the compound, polish and wax.

Mines a metal flaked blue bass boat so it really sparkles.

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't get it done yet...impeller change took a little longer and weather didn't cooperate.

FlippinOut

Cadet
Got mine done today using the video I linked above. Lots of methods out there but this one worked great. Lots of work but my metal flake is really popping.

I attached a couple pics. For those who know bass boats...seeing yourself in your boat is pretty cool.

Attachments

• photo313343.jpg
    photo313343.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo313344.jpg
    photo313344.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0