Recommendations for waxing

kaulbr

Seaman
I have a 2015 Four Winns H190 RS - see the attached picture. I think the colors/graphics on the hull are a wrap and not gel coat. Is that correct? I just bought it last summer and am looking to wax it. It's in really nice shape so I think I just need to use the all-in-one wash/wax with a variable speed polisher and nothing beyond that. Am I correct? And since I think it's a wrap, I want to be sure I don't need to do anything different than you would with a standard gel coat boat. Also, do people wax the entire bottom of the boat? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo311623.jpg
    photo311623.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
You can tell if your boat has graphic decals (wrap) with your finger nail. The decals are around .010" thick, and you can feel the edges. If the glass is glassy, with a good reflective shine a one step product is all you need. Go easy with the polisher on the decals though. If too aggressive you could lift the edges slightly. Also most polishes have fine abrasive that cut any oxidation. This is great for fiberglass, but could erode the graphics.

Waxing the hull/bottom is OK if you don't have anything else to do with your time. The bottom of a boat is out of the sun, so rarely oxidizes/chalks. I get some hard water film up on my hull. The process of polishing and waxing removes this, but doesn't noticeably improve performance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I know the scarabs are a full hull wrap (read that as a really expensive decal) not sure on the Four Winns. however for years I simply used turtle wax on my boats, decal stripes and all. would get turtle wax from the local dollar store.