Carpet Replacement

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Happy Spring Everyone!

Wondering if anyone has advice on recarpeting an 18 foot bow rider - the boat originally had wooden floor with carpet over top. I’ll be reusing the wooden floor as it’s in good shape, but needs new carpet. Here’re a few questions on the best way to prep the floor before I glue in new carpet:

1) I figured I’d so a light sanding to get rid of the old hardened left over on the would from the previous carpet which I’ve already removed...is that correct?

2) Should I also be cleaning it with any sort of chemical?

3) Am I supposed to apply any kind of wood sealer or resin (for extra water proofing) onto the surface of the original, re-sander, marine ply before gluing in the new carpet - or, is carpet glue all I need for that?

Many thanks!!!

harringtondav

Commander
I did this job last spring. I used a wire cup wheel on an angle grinder to remove the old debris and glue. I also painted the my wood floor with Interlux Bilgekote to seal up some minor checking in the plywood. That is pricey paint, but I had some left over after repainting my bilge.

When you order new carpet ask the dealer to send you a swatch. Web pictures of the carpet color aren't close. When you order carpet order enough carpet to cover your floor panels: Ski/wakeboard locker and gas tank cover. The cut outs from the main carpet won't cover these areas. The panel cut outs need to be +1.5 - 2" around all edges to wrap under and staple. The floor cut openings need to have the same excess material around the opening to wrap under and staple.

Get the carpet suppliers recommendation on the adhesive.