69 Woodson Tri-hull with 68 Johnson 55hp

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 days of work in the hot sun several dollars spent and all i have to show for it is 1.5 stringers glued up. I tried to follow Nursemans methods for making stingers, but i dont have near enough clamps or patience for that level of work. I did manage to get the admiral to help out today, after conscripting my 7 year old first mate to assist with ripping plywood on the hokey-okie table saw with a red chevy outfeed table.

6-30-19-1.jpg6-30-19-2.jpg6-30-19-3.jpg6-30-19-4.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
nurseman ……….Their can only be 1 Nurseman!
No-one and I mean no-one can clamp like that pappy!

tenor.gif

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You got the drive and looks like the help! You are doing good. Keep at it. Their are a lot of ways to make templates like glue gun, cardboard, foam etc. Even still the cuts always seem not to fit properly. Then it turns into a good eye and some trimming.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hab where bouts are you in Tulsa? I lived in South Broken Arrow/NorthEast Bixby area for 25 years. Worked at Williams Pipeline. Retired now and Moved to Guthrie, OK. How bad did the flooding mess up Skiatook and Keystone?

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WOG, Im in Owasso. Keystone is a mess, and tall cheif is still closed off. Ive never seen the caney or verdegris as high as theyve been. Weird year. I mostly hang aroung oolagah, when i can get away, but im feinding for some skiatook hybrids once i get a boat that is big enough to get out there. I lived in Edmond for a time, spent many weekends at arcadia pulling crappie out of the rocks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, Kool!! If I still lived there, I'd come up and help ya with the boat. Skiatook was my lake of Choice. I'm not a big fan of Arcadia. I;ve only put the boat in the water once since we moved. I miss Tulsa!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Clamp envy is such an ugly thing... Hab, requesting permission to come aboard. looks like a fun project!

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Clamp envy is such an ugly thing... Hab, requesting permission to come aboard. looks like a fun project!

No doubt Nurseman I bought 8 more for this project. Thanks for the well documented stringer fabrication techniques. Now I gotta ask, I'm on the fence about the ooze holes in the transom. How did they work out for you? Would you recommend them. They seem legit, but I'm leery about blessing my transom with a holely baptism.

Happy birthday everyone.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
hab,
The holes let the pb out in addition to making a bond between pcs. of transom. Kinda locks 1 pcs to the other.
Sand flush then finish with glass. Same idea as when you drill out for foam. You add the plug back or fill with pb, fair and glass. Happy 4th!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Like KC said, it just allows for a better bond between the glass and wood. They didn't really cause much mess. Any PB that oozed out I just wiped off with a bondo spreader. Wasn't much extra sanding. I'm not sure I would drill quite so many if I had to do it again, but I would for sure drill some.
The technique was recommended by Woodonglass, and you won't go wrong taking his advice on boat building.

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice, thanks for the follow up. Ive seen where WOG recommended it, but so far ive only seen one other builder try it. It seems like a good idea, but then again wood does funny stuff, shrinks and swells whether its wet or not. I dont guess water will have a chance to get anywhere near it for a good long time.

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took a break last week and went with the family on vacation to western Michighan. Managed to get the side stringers roughed in, since we got back. Im no where near as diligent or patient as Nurseman, but using his method and my sloppy fabrication technique, I got them close enough for now. I still have the center stringer, bilge and maybe another bulkhead or 2 to fab up, but Im nearly to the point where ill have to get the transom in to continue. My heads about to pop trying to decide which cart to put before the horse. Time to stop overthinking it, and just start working.

7-17-19-1.jpg7-17-19-2.jpg

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Analysis paralysis. I fight that all the time. Stringers look good though. If I had to pick a task to tackle first, I would get the transom figured out and installed. Everything else works off of that.

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought fiberglass yesterday. I thought id wait till it hit triple digit temps before attempting any glass work. Now Im fully invested for the long haul. Ive decided that ill skin the transom and transom section of the hull, then drill holes in the transom, then organize a clamping system, then bed in with thickened resin, then fillets, tabbing and inner skin, then refit the cap, and attempt final adjustment of stringers with the cap in place (if possible). Lots of steps and order is important. I have a punch out list to get through over the next few days, holes to fill and parts to acquire. Should allow me some time to get my fingers wet with the glass before attempting the big stuff.