1976 John Allmand

077tango

Seaman
Really like this boat, from what I hear no wood below the water line. Any thoughts about possible restoration on a $1,700 John Allmand? Owner says the motor does run.....
Thanks

Attachments

• allmand 1.jpg
    allmand 1.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
  • allmand 2.jpg
    allmand 2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 0
  • allmand 3.jpg
    allmand 3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont guarantee that there is no wood. its almost a 45 year old boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't take a seller's word that the motor runs.

She looks like shes been laid up a while.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
To try and answer your initial question, YES it can be refurbished to make a nice boat. HOWEVER, please don't think some simple cleaning and a once go over and it is ready for the water. So many have thought that and later realized, there was tons of rebuilding to do before it ever sees water. It can be made to be whatever you like. But there will be work and money involved for sure.

If you want to do that, tell us what you want to do. This IS the best place to get lots of quality advice, suggestions and ideas...and the know how knowledge as well!

077tango

Seaman
Thanks all, still mulling it over. I did communicate with a couple JA owners of around the same year and they love their boats!!

077tango

Seaman
Here's a little more information as posted:
Need gone to fix truck. I have title for the ‘01 Suzuki 225, paperwork &permanent tag on trailer, & title to the ‘76 John Allman 23’ in cabin boat. fires right up. Has 6x7fully enclosed cabin w/toilet, 8’ fiberglass canopy, 2 aluminum fuel tanks that run horizontally down the exterior walls of the vessel.. all of the fuel lines, fittings & valves are stainless steel. also equipped with a 30”x19”x5” deep reserve fuel tank beneath the floor. It has a bait fish live well in the rear of the boat, with a flat deck between the bait fish well & the outboard motor. The canopy has 4 seats beneath with no cracks or tears. marine CD player/speakers. Sliding side windows. The front two windows can be raised up & locked open at multiple heights.. the front enclosed cabin has a door in it to access the boats balcony. 589.9 hours on the motor, it comes with a cb radio, bilge pump & a new $2,500 hydraulic steering system! dm me for videos of it running built by John billman