1972 Aussie Caribbean Galaxy V-156

andrew j cox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have had this little boat squirrelled away for a while, I have been active on it now for a while, im currently wheel chair bound while I’m waiting on a new leg which is taking forever so I’m doing what I can from the chair, the exterior of the hull is nearing completion, the floor inside needs doing I can’t quiet get to it but I’ll recruit a family member to jump in with the grinder and cut the floor out, it’s a small floor with no fancy curves to worry about, it’s a small boat at 15.6 feet, it’s not a fishing boat really, what we used to call a Fish/Ski combination, the hull has lots of chromed brass fittings with my yellow top on bright gloss white hull it will look a treat, engine is a 1981 OMC Johnson 70, motor looks ok looks to have been rebuilt sometime, I tried to turn it over a while ago seemed to have no spark not that i delved into it deeply, that’s coming soon, I need to get the floor finished, then I’m going to pump the underfloor cavity full of polyurethane foam, I have back to back seats I’ll get covered in white and yellow carpets will finish the interior, period OMC factory instruments, no radios no nothing all un needed holes will be filled, I restored the original Canadian made steering wheel, once I find a curved screen I’ll have green tinted perspex fitted, an old style screen mounted canopy in yellow n white vinyl will go on, i need to sort the Nav lights out, cant find suitable ones that will suit the hull at the moment I’m looking at chromed lights that will recess into the sides of the hull, the centre line of the foredeck is raised and is cluttered with bollards and bow handle, all of which including the rear chromed caps that cover the deck hull join are being replated, I do have another motor which is a 1968 Red Band Merc 125, Im retroing it to look like a 62 White Merc 6, a new trailer will finish the job,

Im an intending to star a social club for owners of old classic glass boats locally, kind of try and introduce show n shine for classic boats as you do with old cars, it will look as good on the water as it will the water, I do love the Caribbean’s my aim in life or what’s left of it now is to gather up a few more old Caribbean’s and restore them. Gotta love pastel colours on old boats, next will be pastel green. Aussie fellas if you know of Caribbean’s needing another chance at life let me know.

Attachments

• photo311175.jpg
    photo311175.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo311176.jpg
    photo311176.jpg
  • photo311177.jpg
    photo311177.jpg
  • photo311178.jpg
    photo311178.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • photo311179.jpg
    photo311179.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo311180.jpg
    photo311180.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Canadian made steering wheel?

any who, have you looked at these forums re old fg boats?
The Board boat forum,
mostly old Savage fg boat enthusiasts but there are some Caribbeans ( Crosby's etc etc ) as well,
these days it is very, very slow there now,
melb based l think

Old School Trailer boats,
not necessarily old boats and any make will do,
not necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed either
NSW l think

Classic & Vintage Power boats 1950- 1972
Gets a bit of traffic and tries to get a bit of interest going in the old boats,
NSW...

Savage boat owners....any Savage or size

Old School Caribbeans/ Bertrams,
more flybridge boats though but there must be a Carribbean runabout/ ski boat page somewhere

lots of Caribbean/ prides around Vic...naturally with the factory there

BIL has a Caribbean Comaro with 90 hp brown band...but as he is hurtling towards 70 it's looking like becoming a shed queen

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
BIL has a Caribbean Comaro with 90 hp brown band...but as he is hurtling towards 70 it's looking like becoming a shed queen

Ooopsie
that should read Caribbean CAMARO,

Last edited:

andrew j cox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems to be a lot of old glass boats around, I guess they play second fiddle to the tin boats, I hate alloy boats, they noisy, they throw you around, nothing like screaming through the water feeling like your sitting on a nuke,
whilst Im not antique yet I’m 50 but was disabled at 45 after losing a leg, at times I wish I was hanging around with the rest of the dead folk at the cemetery but it’s my boats that keep me mostly sane,
Gotta be a nice old heavy made glass boat, they ride nice, they comfy, feel solid, and they kinda getting a bit rare to see at the ramps now, mate of mine got a mid 70 s Caribbean Cobra wee little thing maybe 14 foot if it’s lucky, has a rather nasty temperamental 85 Suzuki DT85, this thing is mental, nice little hull but only needs 40-50 hp tops, anything bigger and it’s dangerous, tune up time is coming, this we do on the water, sitting on my trusty milk crate with screw drivers and carb cleaner in hand.

my bro in law just home from his annual two week jaunt to Bermagui, spends all his time out on the shelf and the canyons beyond looking for Marlin, I told him he left his run a bit late , he hooked up a 140 kilo stripey, 100 plus tiger flathead, couple early schnappers, they did hook onto a 300 kilo bronze whaler shark, 3 hours they played it, nearly had it to the boat and an it lept out the water spun around hit the water and powered off, snapping his 36 kilo Shimano Game Rod, took off with 150 yards of very expensive leader and a hook that cost more then his boat, thing just played him lol

He has a 5 meter Quinny , he got whacked by a freak 3 meter wave head on, that threw him out his chair, then he got smashed beam on which very nearly got him out the boat, he was being chucked around like a rag doll, did some damage to his boat, bloody tin boats lol

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Yeh, we don't have any tinnies now,
only had a 12ft version that we mostly used in FW for duck hunting and the occasional salt water estuary
never in bays,

mate has a 16ft alloy runabout here that he mostly uses for diving but l don't like the thing...

we like heavy fg boats.