Pin holes in the hull ?

chevymaher

Commander
Well it should drain from the cabin through the tank area and into the bilge. The drain hole is to high to drain and it is holding water there for 30 years. You need to look into this a little harder. That is a long time for a boat to be soaking wet and not rot.

If you have none buy a lottery ticket your on a roll.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For sure and I am not disagreeing lol The hole for the cabin to drain is way to high and it would never drain. The one in the back bulk head is a lot lower but still cant drain ever once out due to the drain not being flush to the floor. I will try and get some pictures of this thank area this weekend and post so you guys can see what i am saying. We also had a good rain here in Michigan last night, so i want to check today and see if i have water anywhere.

As for the loto, Iam not lucky lol

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
These are the things I came here to find out. I am pretty new to boats. I am not saying I have or dont have rot but I m on the fence about it. Boat floor is original and solid with no rot or anything. But at the same time I am like the boat is 29 years old so there as to be some type of rot if that makes sense.
I know this wont tell me rot but can i cut access hole in the floor and drive a pipe to the bottom to get a sample of the foam at the bottom to see if its soaked ?

That would tell you if the foam had water in that one spot, yes. When I was pulling foam out of my boat, one side was pretty wet, the other had some wet areas and some that seemed pretty dry. If I had spot checked into one of the dry spots, I would have missed a lot of wet foam...

Unfortunately, the only real way to know if the structure is sound is to core sample. The appearance of the fiberglass, or the sound it makes when you tap it, don't really tell you much.

Have you core sampled the transom (from the inside)? You also might search the Restoration forum here for other threads on Sundowner 225s to get an idea of where you might be able to access the stringers for a sample.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I plan to sample this weekend if i have time. I did a quick search on the 225s but did not see much but i will look deeper this weekend. Makes sense on the foam sample.