Pin holes in the hull ?

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 225 sundowner,1990. I’m a pretty new to boats so bare with me. This is my 3rd year with the boat and it does not stay in the water.
Last year I noticed some water around the gas tank when doing a good cleaning. I unscrewed the cap in the floor and seen some abs sucked it out with the shop vac. The only time I can recall the bildge pump running is if it’s supper choppy, like rough or when swimming or tubing and people are in and out. Randomly through the summer last year I would notice some water in the cabin just at the bottom of the step and it wasn’t like flooded but water. I know the seal around the windshield and the lift window to get up front leaks when it rains or we wash the boat but it isn’t terrible. There is two holes in where the tank goes and one is to the cabin but it sits way up high and one in the back to the bildge pump. So Sunday I took the boat for a ride and did about 20 Miles and the lake was 2 footers or so. No water pumped out. Yesterday I took the boat out and was out about 2 hours and it was pretty rough out but got back the channel and no water to pump out. The cabin carpet you could see the water line but no standing water. It’s only in that one spot and that’s it. The only thing I noticed is I have some pin holes in the hull of the fiber glass where like you park the boat on the sand bar.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
9de8468a-005c-4ae9-a982-13fac3a89621

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo311129.jpg
    photo311129.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • photo311129.jpg
    photo311129.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo311128.jpg
    photo311128.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • photo311130.jpg
    photo311130.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I added some pictures in hopes this helps. If this is something major I’d like to take it in for repair or if it’s something I can do.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Start reading some threads. Fairly easy repair, however you may have water logged foam

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where is the foam? I will start reading more. I did a quick search and really did not come up with anything. I have no foam around the gas tank if thats where it might be.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have no idea how your boat is built. However, is there anyway you can remove the tank to address the cracks/pin holes? That would be my suggestion to see exactly what was going on in that area. Doesn't look like a huge problem from the pictures. But it will take come polyester resin and CSM and/or 1708 fiberglass material... JMHO

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I could remove the tank, it has a few brackets to hold it up off the floor. The little pin holes don't look deep but i have not poked in them. The floor in the boat is solid and there is no signs of it ever being replaced. There is a softer spot in the back corner where the blower hose exits because it splashes up and drips in. I noticed this yesterday washing the boat but its not rotted floor, its just soft there. I just had the whole drive pulled and all gone through right before winter and the marina said all was good so if they seen rot in the transom i would guess they would have said something. I just want to fix the issue before it gets worse.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I understand the foam thing now. From what I can tell, The stringers where the motor bolts up seem to be solid. I tapped on them with a hammer and nothing blew through or anything like that. Is there anyplace i can check the stringers up front? Can i drill some test holes on the sides when the i get into the cabin ? like at the bottom of the step on each side? shouldnt the stingers run right along each side ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have to test drill into the stringers to check. hitting with a hammer means nothing

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright I will drill some holes in the back ones and check them out. As for the front, can i do the same in the cabin and drill through the carpet and side wall to check ? thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Alright I will drill some holes in the back ones and check them out. As for the front, can i do the same in the cabin and drill through the carpet and side wall to check ? thanks

Unless you know for certain the stringers are behind the step, I don't see that as a possibility. A better idea, especially if you do find rot on the rear section of the stringers is, to cut a section out of the step area and then drill inspection holes in the forward stringers. But that is just how I would do it.

If in either place you find dark colored or even wet drill shavings, that is rot. You need to see light colored DRY shavings from every test hole you drill. ANd if they all are dry and light colored wood, then plug teh holes with some 3M 5200 sealer and happy boating... JMHO

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright i will do that. What if you find one side with dry shavings or a area with good and one with bad?

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would like to ask this also. Let’s say i do find some water or rot in parts, do I seal it back up anyways

chevymaher

Commander
Would like to ask this also. Let’s say i do find some water or rot in parts, do I seal it back up anyways

If you find rot anywhere. it is everywhere. Take it out and fix it right. Sealing it is a lost cause at that point.

That is like saying if my car tire wore a hole in one spot. But has tread left everywhere else. Is it a good tire still if I don't use the part with the hole in it?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I would think that if you found rot, you’d want to determine the extent of it and then repair it, so you know the boat is safe.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These are the things I came here to find out. I am pretty new to boats. I am not saying I have or dont have rot but I m on the fence about it. Boat floor is original and solid with no rot or anything. But at the same time I am like the boat is 29 years old so there as to be some type of rot if that makes sense.
I know this wont tell me rot but can i cut access hole in the floor and drive a pipe to the bottom to get a sample of the foam at the bottom to see if its soaked ?

chevymaher

Commander
Take the gas tan cover off. That will get you low on the stringers. Mine I didnt need a core sample took the lid to that off, and it was EEEEEEEWWWWW.

Hildebrand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have taken the gas tank cover off. The tank sits up off the floor 4 inches or so with brackets holding it to the side. All I see id the fiberglass hull and its all solid. The sides are fiberglass too. There is two holes in the tank area and one drains into the bildge and one to the cabin which doesnt make sense to me. The one up front by the cabin is up 5-6 inches and drans out under the step. I think thats where i am getting my wet spot in the carpet when i take off or stop it splashes out that drain hole. The one in the back sits up like 2 inches from the blidge area so there is some water that will never escape bc the hole is to high. I have a through hull back there and i am wondering if its leaking some and water is getting into the engine area and when i stop and go its going to the tank area and laying in the bottom. I am going to rubber plug the two drains in the tank and take the boat back out to see if water gets in the tank area and if it does i can go from that.