building a windshield mold ?

orlandoclippertim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1956 orlando cliper needs a new windscreen. I have the old one but its crazed pretty bad.
My thought was to make a mold for it and drape hot 1/4 inch acrylic over it. It doesnt seem to have any
compound curves -- so I should be able to just lay it over the mold.

i was thinking of taking the old windshield---- lay a layer of thin felt on the inside--- then lay up something
like poyerster resin and glass cloth on top of it to form a semi-rigid surface. Maybe make a few wood braces
to prevent it from flexing ---- then I could use the felt surface to lay the hot acrylic in without making a scratch
or imperfection.

I dont have a big oven but there is a plastics place here that can heat the acrylic and they can use my form.

Never tried this before--- is this sound like a good general approach ?

Thanks --- Tim

chevymaher

Commander
Wait for Scott D to see your post. He seems to be Yoda on this site. He will know what to do.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is a link in the stickies on making a windshield

or contact your local plastic company in your area. many do hot-forming. they can match your old window

orlandoclippertim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just read the stickie--- doesn't help much because I want to duplicate the 1/4 inch acrylic and heat for it . He didnt do
any of that. My local plastics place has a nice oven to heat a 4 by 8 sheet but he certainly wont have a form for my
windshield. I have to build that....... I am trying to ask if anyone else has done that ?

Tim