1987 Chappy 198CXL restore

Jamezy

Cadet
Hello from South Florida! after much deliberation I picked up this gem about a week ago, pretty much for free (just paid 300 bucks for the trailer!).
20190330_182238.jpg

20190330_182253.jpg

Its going to need quite a bit of work, havent really had the time to poke around and see exactly what it needs, besides a good cleaning, but at first glance you can tell its going to be a journey. I've done fiberglass before, have experience with wood working and I'm a mechanic by trade, however it is my first boat and I never turn down free knowledge.

Honestly, I bought this thing because my kids and I do a project every summer, last year it was restoring a 1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 and turning it into a bobber (almost done but we're still working on it!), the year before it we created an entire garden with planters boxes and what not. Living in South Florida, having a boat is pretty much a must and this one was cheap so why not... though I'm aware there's no such thing as a cheap boat!

Anyways, figured I had lurked around enough and it was time to introduce myself, its very nice to make y'all's acquaintance!

chevymaher

Commander
Looks about like mine did when I drug it home. Have fun fixin her up.

Jamezy

Cadet
hahaha your little four winns looks a boatload better than mine does. although the cuddy is in great shape, the rest is trashed and there are 2 very small soft spots on the deck. Will be drilling inspection holes tomorrow. I've gotta say though, for its age, the Merc 224 in it is pretty clean, lets hope it runs.

chevymaher

Commander
Thanks but that is the point it did look just like yours when I got it. This pic is the first time I saw it in person.

Just do the work they are new again. I like yours i be watching beginning to end. Mine had to be gutted. I got a new engine I just waiting for the mud to dry to get it in. It is worth it. May not seem like it when your grinding glass. That is the worst part.

Attachments

• photo310195.jpg
    photo310195.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

Jamezy

Cadet
Will you look at that... twins separated at birth, looks like I got the ugly twin though šŸ˜‚. I cannot wait until I tear into it tomorrow. I'll load more pictures then so you can really gauge what i'm working with.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

One of the first things to do would be to figure out if it is going to need any structural restoration work. Soft spots in the floor can be the proverbial 'tip of the iceberg'.

Did you get the proper paperwork (title) for the boat/trailer? If not, it could end up as another planter box for the garden :(

Jamezy

Cadet
:welcome:

One of the first things to do would be to figure out if it is going to need any structural restoration work. Soft spots in the floor can be the proverbial 'tip of the iceberg'.

Did you get the proper paperwork (title) for the boat/trailer? If not, it could end up as another planter box for the garden :(

will be poking around today to see how much love she needs. I did get a title for the boat, in FL all you need is a bill of sale for the trailer as long as its under 2,000lbs this one comes in at 1,500lbs. Im heading to the DMV on monday with the previous owner to transfer everything over.

Jamezy

Cadet
So I finally got around to cutting out the floor to survey how bad it truly was.... and well... if I could package it and sell it as nutella, I'd be a rich man in no time! Found some other goodies hidden away too!

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Nutella, hahaha :D
Many of us are right there with you. Good luck with the rebuild adventure.

chevymaher

Commander
Yes but on the bright side. When it is like that it comes right out. Wait till you hit a good spot. That needs dynomite practically to come out.

Jamezy

Cadet
Thanks Steve! I found a coin hidden away under all of that mush, its rusty as can be, but I'm curious as to what type of coin it might be and what year it is from. The boat definitely has had some flooring work done in the past so it's probably nothing special. Few spider webs down there too so if I did have any worms, I'm sure good ol Charlotte took care of them. I'll be tearing out the rest of the mush next weekend. Time to start ordering supplies!