Painting 1963 Starcraft aluminum boat

McJuice

Seaman Apprentice
We picked up this beauty late last summer. We are getting ready to repaint the white hull and need some advice.

1) How much of the paint on the hill needs to be sanded/removed?
2) If it is not sanded down to bare aluminum do we need to prime it?
3) what paint (or paint and primer) do you recommend? The boat will be kept on a covered lift when not in use
4) The top paint (mint) is in great condition so we are not planning on painting it. O
any suggestion on a wax or protectant to protect it and make it shine a little.

I’m sure I will have more as I go, but any other suggestions/recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo309483.jpg
    photo309483.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Why type paint are you talking about? IF you don't sand anything, the surface of the paint, whether showing bare metal or not, needs to be addressed. Sanding accomplishes a few things. First it ruffs up the surface so either primer or paint will adhere to it. It also removes oxidation of the old paint and even dirt that you normally would notice and levels the surface.

If you elect to not sand to bare metal, a primer is always a great thing to do to even out everything to one level. Spot primer can be done, but if there is a huge different in the primer and remaining paint color, you will use more top coat to get it to look right.

If you sand to bare metal, you have to use a primer. And for aluminum hull boats, you need either Zinc Chromate OR a good quality etching primer. You choice there.

I would sand everything and wipe it down with a good wax, oil and finger print removed (some use Acetone). And I would prime the entire hull that was going to get painted. Then apply the top coat paint. But that is just me...

I am sure others will chime in with their best ideas. Then you can pick how you want to do it... JMHO

McJuice

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you.

I was planning on sanding it but heard it was hard to get paint to stick to the hull (as a DIY-er without a spray booth and what not) if you took it down to bare aluminum.

If the boat will be kep on a lift, do I need to use a separate bottom paint? I heard you didn’t need to if it was not going to stay in the water.

Any my recommendations on what type of marine paint to use? Epoxy, oil based, etc...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
A LOT of or Aluminum Boat owners have used the Roll n' Roll technique using Rustoleum Pro Paint and the Added Acrylic Enamel Hardener and the surface is as close to a sprayed on paint as you can get. The link in my signature below gives you all the details on how to apply the paint. The more expensive 2 part paints usually require spraying. If the current paint is well adhered and no significant bare spots then sand with 180 grit and then apply Rusoleum Bare Metal Primer. It works on the painted surfaces too!!! Then apply 3-4 coats of the Rustoleum and it'll look great and last for many many years.

McJuice

Seaman Apprentice
Wooden glass

Thank you so much for the link to your painting process! The boat is turning out great. One question, and maybe I just missed it, but after the last coat of paint, how long does the paint need to “cure” before it can be “splashed”?