1999 1720 Key West Keel repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANTI-

Cadet
I need some help. From years of beaching my boat, I've cause some damage. The damage runs about five feet in total. There are some surface scratches all along the bottom, all the way to the transom. In the end, I plan to cover up the area with a keel guard. I have a plan to fix it, but I'm not sure it's a good one and would appreciate any advice.

The Not Necessarily Good Plan, Plan.
I plan to grind/sand out around four inches from both side of the keel, least till I'm down to bare fiberglass for the length of the damage. I plan to come back in with 6oz fiberglass cloth using epoxy resin and build the area back up. For the most part it looks like its mostly just the gelcoat missing. there is a small area, maybe six inches, I assume where the boat first makes contact with the beach where it might be a bit more worn. After laying up cloth, I plan to use a fairing compound to fair out the scratches that are present all the way down and the new work. After fairing, I plan to cover the bottom from chine to chine with an epoxy barrier coat in grey. Finally install a seven foot keel guard.

So, some questions or thoughts.
1. I had thought about using fiberglass mat, but that requires polyester resin. Not sure if its beneficial. Any thoughts?
2. I said 6oz cloth, but should I use something heavier or lighter, and does it need to be directional or does it matter?
3.The only reason I'm using the barrier coat is to cover the fairing compound within the gel coat. Any other ideas?
4. Does epoxy barrier coat have to be painted over?
5. Lastly, do you have a better plan? Hiring someone isn't a option for this poor guy.

Thank you in advance. [h=1][/h]

Attachments

• photo309450.jpg
    photo309450.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309451.jpg
    photo309451.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 0

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
From what you described the plan looks solid. You shouldn't use matt with eeppoooxxxyy. On another note epoxy has a hard time taking gelcoat. I'm a epooxxy guy and I would put on some 1700 biax for the overkill. Paint it then put the keel guard on.
You're procedure seems correct.

ANTI-

Cadet
From what you described the plan looks solid. You shouldn't use matt with eeppoooxxxyy. On another note epoxy has a hard time taking gelcoat. I'm a epooxxy guy and I would put on some 1700 biax for the overkill. Paint it then put the keel guard on.
You're procedure seems correct.

So you suggest after fairing with compound, to just prime and paint? What kind of paint do you use on a trailered boat? Will the trailer destroy the paint in short order?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, your plan is ok except for the poly resin. I also agree that 17oz biax IS the fabric to use. You can use the fairing if you want but...Fish won't care!!! Sand to 220 grit then 2 part paint and the keel guard with a Trailered boat she'll look great for years.

crewdog90

Recruit
after you repair the damage you can do what i did and install line-x on your keel and a line-x can even be color matched to your hull, i beach my boat every time we are out on the lakes in Tennessee and the line-x is holding strong even hit a sandbar once while on vacation in Sarasota bay FL at about 20 mph but its still on there and is holding up great so far and cost me $100 to do myself

Status
Not open for further replies.