84 Proline walkaround 23’

Bstout96

Recruit
Just acquired a boat from my grandfather that I might try to tackle as a winter project but I do not have any experience building/restoring a boat. Give me a truck and I can put you a motor or transmission in it no problem but I want to fix this boat up if I can. No motor in it now because of rotten mounts but I have the motor and outdrive ready to go in. Just have no clue where to begin or if it’s worth working on. Going to try to add pictures here shortly.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
:welcome:

Welcome to the restoration capital of the internets...
Your question is one only you can answer. Its only worth it if you want to do it. Rarely is it affordable to restore a boat. There are plenty of writeups and info in the stickies on what to expect, but for a 23' fiberglass boat, a total restoration is probably going to run you in excess of 5-6K.

Sounds like a lot, and it is, but if done properly, you will have a basically new boat that will last you another decade or two. So make sure you start with something you love and plan to keep.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You can also email the pics to yourself, make a folder and then load them in cause they've been resized.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

new members can not post pics until post #4
tutorial for posting pics in the rules and guidelines forum

suggested reading for rehabing a boat is the links in the DIY sticky at the top of the forum. read links 14 and 18 in its entirety, watch videos, etc. then read 2, 3, 4a, 4b

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I do about 98% on my phone. I got a photo resizer app to shrink them down