Blocking a Carolina skiff for paint

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a DA with 40 grit, then finish with 80 grit

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Should of been more specific. You meant to get it off the trailer but that will help also

Ya know that's a GREAT question that seems to never get addressed. At some point I would like to take my piggy off the trailer to work on the underside more easily on blocks.
Their are companies you can hire to do that and I've also researched/googles multiple suggestions which mostly put me at unease to do on my own.
Any input very much appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd build two "Carpeted stands each about 4' long and about 2" shorter than the height of the bottom at the back of the trailer.
Tie the back of the boat to something solid and pull the trailer out from underneath the hull. Once it's off far enuf to put the first stand under it put it under and then keep pulling forward until you can get the final stand under it and then pull forward again until it clears the trailer. Add additional bracing if needed but it should be fine as is. You can then back the trailer up to the bow of the boat and use the winch to load her back on the trailer. Ezeeee Smeeeeezeee!

Something like this... x2

Boat cradle.JPG

Last edited:

zool

Captain
To set a boat off a trailer onto blocks is pretty straight forward with either bunks or rollers. Its easiest with 2 jacks and some concrete blocks and 3 small pieces of 2x wood.

You jack up both rear corners and stack the blocks under each transom corner with the wood between the hull and top block.

You then remove the jacks and place on under the center keel up front as far forward from the trailer cross member as possible and jack that up,

then you pull the trailer out from under til the jack nears the member..

then take the other jack and place it as far forward from the 1st jack and jack it up, then remove the 1st jack and move it forward again.......wash, rinse, repeat til you can set a final front set of blocks and wood, while pulling the trailer all the way out.

Getting it back on the trailer is the same in reverse.

zool

Captain
zool Larry, I got a lawn/dirt floor. Recommended substrate?

No problem just pour a 6" slab with a rebar grid :D

J/K...its not a problem, but with your boat, you could stack the blocks doubled up side by side and alternating, to create a bigger footprint. Blocks are like $1.50 each at HD

Mine are all on unfinished ground and im scraping the bottom on this one

y4mvBKWZSp-uvNYbi3oDKflMBM7_tvMRBo2aq6vOacxFQTNQfx9WgSD-21B-qUwvwcw7usAUX8EkVihlNLd1gBtcPOvziGUjMFVRSqTkSLr4ZCK5qxIGViv0DBMr7JQjwsoVNkLVl3olS8u8wekkpPUPFnL1KpQxE8yiq98CnzXGu8gcSoXnVprQXp_SKI-MJ_Bf-HJBJkMReLuR5xpc2jeSQ

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Just be careful what you use under the wood blocking. Some masonry blocks (e.g., cinder blocks) may fail catastrophically if loaded with too much weight. It would be bad to be under the boat if that happened... I'd probably stick with all wood blocking.