Rotted deck lid and how to restore

txebbtide

Cadet
My Dual Center Console boat has a removable center section above the fuel tank that was spongy so I removed it. Needless to say it was toast so I removed the old fiberglass and rotted wood. My question that I can not find the answer to is how to attach new wood to the formed floor panel. Do I just use construction glue and glue it to the panel and then glass over it or do I somehow epoxy the wood to the existing panel then class over it.?

respun

Cadet
If the fiberglass is fairly thick and in descent shape I would just epoxy the wood onto it. Use clamps or bricks to hold it in place while curing. I strongly advise against using construction adhesive. You could glass over the wood. But at the very least coat every bit of exposed wood with epoxy. You can brush or roll it on.
West System has a lot of info on fiberglass boat repair. Helped me with my transom, stringer, floor repair.
Good luck

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I would just use poly resin for both adhering the wood and glassing over.

But, if you want to use epoxy, use it for both adhering the wood and glassing over.

I'd stal away from the construction adhesive, resins don't like it unless it is really well cured (1 week +).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would mix up some PB lather it on both your new wood and the back of your cover, clamp it together and be boating by 6pm

txebbtide

Cadet
Got some epoxy from West Marine and worked great! ,Thanks for the guidance. Now I just need to get on the water.