Best paint

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How long does it stay in the water? Hours,days,weeks, months?

Is it trailer kept and sees water only when launched or is it moored?

Fresh or saltwater?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Best is only based on your perspective

Big Gee has good questions

There is a link in the DIY sticky for using tractor paint which is the route I suggest for a trailered boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Pretty sure you won't like the prices of the BEST BOAT Paints!!!:eek: Big Gee's request for more info on how you plan to use the boat will for sure help us to lead you to the best solution.

zool

Captain
There are options for good boat paints, but it kinda depends weather you have the equipment to spray or not. All of the "best paints" are toxic, and some are spray only...so equipment and personal protection could be required.

Heres a short summary if thats all ur looking for.

True Linear Polyurethanes are considered the best by industry pros. They include brands like Awlgrip, Sterling, System Three, Interlux, Alexseal, and some others. (Spray or brush/roll)

Just behind the LPU's:

Acrylic Urethane and Hybrids like auto paint and truck fleet paint, imrons. Dupont, PPG, BASF, Sherman Williams, Awlcraft, Martin Senour, and others. (Spray only)

All are 2 part paints and can get very pricey depending on color.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Wow, I can easily see this thread going blowing up and going viral... And that is because so many people have their own "Best" ideas. And that brings us to such an answer. Best is subjective for so many reasons. Best for what, best for cost, best for wear, best for shine? And that list could go on forever.

Read a lot of the threads on these forums and you will get an idea what most people use. But that doesn't mean there is ONE final answer to your question. Heck even pro marine shops will be all over the page with their "best" answers.

I will say most any "two-part" paint will be the "better" type to use. What "two-part" paint is that? most any of them... JMHO