Best bedding material?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The windshield and hatches on my boat were sealed with grey butyl tape. It remained flexible and kept things sealed for over 30 year

The 5200 i bedded a few things with in 2012 had degraded due to UV

As i neer, the re-assembly stage of the boat, should I pick up butyl tape, or go with 3M 4000UV?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
30 years of service is hard to beat, Scott. Other than being super sticky during install, it stays put and no running like 52/4200 on vertical or overhead surfaces.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Scott,
I have a question regarding the tape you mentioned. Are the hatches on the deck in traffic areas? I have some hatches to go in and I was going to pb them. You're the second of late that I heard using the tape.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the hatch on the deck is in a moderate traffic area. The windshield frames see some racking and all the weather

can not see how PB would secure a painted aluminum hatch frame to fiberglass. I would think the joint would fail.

the fact that the butyl tape is still sticky after 31 years is leading me to that direction on the window frames and hatch frame, maybe with an edge bead of 4000 UV.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Don't pb them. We just had one come in that was that way. A bear to get out and leaking badly. Also a bunch of grinding to re-fit and bed properly. I think the tech used 4000 on them.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the feedback guys. The 1 deck is pvc. They others stainless. I like the idea of the butyl tape/4200 combo. Any particular mfg? Their are quite a lot of them out there.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I removed both deck hatches 10+ years ago to remove and inspect the fuel tanks. Lots of different recommendation from a post on THT on what material to use as a sealer.

Called Grady and was told they use GE Silicon II kitchen and bath in almond. Not only did it match the gelcoat, it’s still doing its job 10+ years later. Pretty impressed actually given the abuse the decks of afishing boat take

Scott Danforth

Staff member

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think you are going the right way. The tape stays soft and pliable and knowing you don't want to do it again, removal is easier.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
RV's use butyl tape too, however RV prices are half of marine.