1984 ProCraft 1750v - Fiberglass Floor question

SmallSaddleWedgie

Seaman Apprentice
Bought a boat last year.
Decided to replace the carpet this spring, and started the tear out today.
Noticed the carpet was really 'loose' feeling, and found that it wasnt glued down (Screwed in at the corners)
Got into the 'cabin' area, and found the carpet to be mounted to wood. (which I found odd)
Unscrewed the wood to find damaged and 'rotted looking' fiberglass.
Should I pull the wood and reglass the flooring? ... CAN i reglass the flooring?

Whats the thought here?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you bought a boat with a "deck-over"

the equivalent of buying a used car with the sunday paper stuffed into rust holes and body putty smeared over it. someone made it look pretty enough to dump it.

you will need to do a full restoration as your stringers and transom are rotten too, and your flotation foam is probably water soaked. that all needs to be replace prior to worrying about the floor.

a full restoration is in your future.

start by reading the links in the stickies https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...r/295740-how-to-s-and-other-great-information

start with 14, then 18, then 2, 3, 4a, and 4b

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
You aren't alone... many of us know that sinking feeling upon learning of rot in our recently-purchased boats. It's awful.

On the positive side, if you're reasonably handy and like your boat enough to do some itchy, stinky work, you can come out of this with a boat that is constructed better than when it was new. There are lots of folks here who will help talk you through it, step by step.

Sorry about your bad news.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the club! My only suggestion is being that you got to gut it; you might want to redesign the interior.Something to give you more space or open area. Most boats have things built in you don't need or use.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer

Another iBoater here that knows how you feel, and it just adds to the pain to know you paid probably 3x what you should have. I'm here to tell you you're not the first and surely not the last. I decided I might as well keep my little mistake, learn a bunch in the process, and in the end have something that'll surely outlast me. :)

SmallSaddleWedgie

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I don't reckon as to where it's the first bad deal I've made, and won't be the last either.
c'est la vie.

I guess I get to start a restore thread now.
It's a bit more of a project than I was ready to take on, so it's going to probably mean I wont get it on the water this spring, but maybe this summer.

I"ll post a link to the restore thread here once I get it up

SmallSaddleWedgie

Seaman Apprentice
you bought a boat with a "deck-over"

the equivalent of buying a used car with the sunday paper stuffed into rust holes and body putty smeared over it. someone made it look pretty enough to dump it.

you will need to do a full restoration as your stringers and transom are rotten too, and your flotation foam is probably water soaked. that all needs to be replace prior to worrying about the floor.

a full restoration is in your future.

start by reading the links in the stickies https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...r/295740-how-to-s-and-other-great-information

start with 14, then 18, then 2, 3, 4a, and 4b

well folks... I have some more digging to do, but I pulled up the deck, started pulling away the old yuk fiberglass, and I'm highly confused.
The foam was only wet on top, not more than an inch or two down.
The Transom appears to be solid as a rock, and the Keelson appears to be solid, and the fiberglass over it in tact and solid.
The stringers to the right and left appear solid, and the fiberglass intact.

I'm going to get some pictures together, and do a video of me poking around and sounding the parts.
But the inside of the hull was bone dry (other than a small spot where I got water inside the ski storage, which was recent and my fault.

It's ugly, but in tact, and I don't know if the repair had just already been done and they where too lazy to do the deck?
I am by far not an optimist, and will hopefully be able to use ya'lls sharp eyes and experience to tell me if I'm just crazy...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
this would be the only one ever on iBoats where the foam was wet on the top.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
How did you determine the stringers, keel and transom were intact? The only way to really know is to drill some test holes in the stringers and transom to know whether they are solid or not. Knocking, tapping, etc., will tell you nothing.

From the inside of the boat, drill some 1/4" holes along the length of the stringers about 1" from the hull. Drill holes in the transom (only about 1.5" deep, not all the way through to the outside of the boat) near the hull and around any thru-hull fittings, outdrive keyhole, etc. If the shavings are dry and light colored, you're good. If they are dark and or wet, you have problems.

If the holes reveal no problems, fill them with 3M 5200 sealant and no harm done. In that case, go out and buy a bunch of lottery tickets, because you are one lucky son of a gun!

SmallSaddleWedgie

Seaman Apprentice
How did you determine the stringers, keel and transom were intact? The only way to really know is to drill some test holes in the stringers and transom to know whether they are solid or not. Knocking, tapping, etc., will tell you nothing.

From the inside of the boat, drill some 1/4" holes along the length of the stringers about 1" from the hull. Drill holes in the transom (only about 1.5" deep, not all the way through to the outside of the boat) near the hull and around any thru-hull fittings, outdrive keyhole, etc. If the shavings are dry and light colored, you're good. If they are dark and or wet, you have problems.

If the holes reveal no problems, fill them with 3M 5200 sealant and no harm done. In that case, go out and buy a bunch of lottery tickets, because you are one lucky son of a gun!

Solid advice!
will do that, video, and post it here (or at a min, pics)