Aluminum Deck Instead of Plywood

Raptr3

Recruit
I'm a newby so bear with me please. I was looking at the picture of the aluminum ribs, has anyone thought of laying down a .32" sheet of aluminum instead of ply? I found a place by me in Detroit that I can get a 4' x 8' sheet for $109 (https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/3003aluminumsheet) You wouldn't have to worry about rot. The only downside I can think of (again, I'm new to boat restoring) is possibly noise but it could be coated underneath with an off the shelf spray undercoating to help deaden sound and the top could be coated with truck bed liner to help stiffen it or you could just glue down carpet.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

3000 series aluminum is not very corrosion resistant.

also, .032" is thin....as in beer can thin. you could never use it as a floor. the thickest they list is .190" which is marginal for a floor, I would prefer 1/4"

for a boat, or any corrosion resistance, you would want 5000 series, specifically 5052 for non structural. and that in .190 from the source you linked is $500 a sheet

now you know why a $80 sheet of marine ply was used originally.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You MIGHT call some scrap metal yards and ask if they have any old aluminum road signs for cheap. Buying new is NOT practical. If you use 1/2" plywood and Seal and Maintain it properly it'll last 10+ years.