Considering new project, a couple of questions regarding alum. deck boats

ahicks

Captain
Guys, no stranger to working on boats, I'm looking at a new project. This dyed in the wool pontooner has sold his 'toon in the hopes of replacing it with something that can cover more ground on occasion. Thinking aluminum deck boat. Comfortable working on that if necessary, not so much the 'glass boats. No interest in trying to build a go fast 'toon.

First, can anyone tell me if they know if the '90's built 22' Sun Tracker Party Deck, Lowe 1900 and 224 series deck boats, and remarkably similar Grumman, Sea Nymph, and Tahiti alum deck boats all came off the same assembly line? They appear nearly identical, and all are the "step in" type deck boats vs. some that are built more like a 'toon, which are "step on" types.

2nd, regarding those same boats, do you know for sure if the transoms are all alum, or are they reinforced with ply? I've looked at the Tracker and Lowe, and it appears they have all alum floors and decks. Seeking any construction details other than those found in the Lowe literature. I already have that.

Any advice or experience, positive or negative, regarding a project like this? Anyone own one of these?

Thanks for any insight/direction! -Al

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Thanks for the help, but please note we are looking for help regarding alum. DECK boats, not pontoon boats. Pretty familiar with the 'toons. Looking to try something different. -Al

ahicks

Captain
The boat followed me home yesterday, a 6 hour run without incident (happily), so the project begins! Will start new topic with some before pics.