Foam installation ?

Mack-McVey

Cadet
Is there a particular type of foam that is used on the inside of the hull ? The boat owner before me used what looks like the Great Stuff available at the Home Depot. Will that kind of foam insulation be acceptable as water-worthy ? I think he might have been trying to cover and seal up some cracks in the hull. There are a few places I can see daylight through small pin holes and thin spots. And other than working with a lot of fiberglass cloth and epoxy resins, is there an easier and better way to cover and reinforce the plywood in my boat ?

tpenfield

Staff member
Is there a particular type of foam that is used on the inside of the hull ? The boat owner before me used what looks like the Great Stuff available at the Home Depot. Will that kind of foam insulation be acceptable as water-worthy ? I think he might have been trying to cover and seal up some cracks in the hull. There are a few places I can see daylight through small pin holes and thin spots. And other than working with a lot of fiberglass cloth and epoxy resins, is there an easier and better way to cover and reinforce the plywood in my boat ?

Yes, pictures will help us see what you are seeing.

As for the questions . . .

Yes, there is a particular foam that is supposed to be used inside the hull, and it is not Great Stuff. :eek: It is 2-part urethane foam that is USCG compliant.

Pictures will help us understand the rest of your questions.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
flotation foam is 2-part

if someone sprayed expanding foam as a sealant, your boat has other issues

if you can see thru cracks and pin-holes, your boat does need to be properly repaired before you use it.

what are you working on, and what is the issue?

post pics