1976 Terry Bass Boat Rebuild

76Terry

Cadet
Im not sure how to start this thread. I inherited this boat from my grandfather when he passed away. He also inherited it from a friend. From what I can tell its a 1976 Terry 17 ABF. I haven't been able to find out a lot about them online. I have found a few for sale that look like this one but they are 15 ABF which I am assuming means 15 or 17 FT.

I have done a little bit on it but I am at the point where I am starting to realize I don't know very much. I am hoping that if I stay up to date with posting my progress somebody on here should be able to answer some question or point me in the right direction. My plan is to do a full rebuild on it. It has a 1980's Mercury Black Max 150HP outboard on it. Its an oil injected 2 stroke and I know that it still runs. I was thinking of trying to find a smaller motor due to the plate on the boat having a 115HP recommendation. Now I am not sure because most of the lakes around here are 5,000 - 7,000 feet above sea level so Im already losing a lot of HP.

I just realized I have no picture of it from the side yet due to it being in a garage but here is a picture of it. I will post what I have gotten done so far later this weekend.

Attachments

• photo308836.jpg
    photo308836.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome! You'll find lots of help here. I'll be paying attention to how you do with the outboard as my Campion has the same one and I don't have a clue either. Pictures always helps the pro's help you. :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
For starters, you need to do two things now! First take tons of pictures from every angle you can possibly think of. They will certainly be used during your refurbishing process. Second make a sketch of the boat from a side and top view and measure every thing and post it on your sketches. That way "IF" you have to uncap the hull, you will know what width it has to be to fit back together again.

All the other measurements will assist you when you are doing things and wondering how it was before you dug into it. And post a few more pictures on here for everyone to see what you are dealing with. It helps get the best possible answers...

76Terry

Cadet
Thank you for the response I am glad I got that info about measurements before trying to go any further on my own. I am going to be adding what I have gotten done up to this point throughout the week in smaller posts. I pulled all the anchors, buoys, ropes, horns, flags, extra tools, life jackets, and parts out of all hatches. Next I built a stand for the outboard. I disconnected the steering cable, fuel lines, oil injection lines, electrical from the outboard. I used a chain hoist that I attached to the steel crossmember of the shop to lift the outboard off the transom and onto the stand.
Edited Outboard and Stand Photo.jpeg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looks like you are on your way. Keep posting updates and questions.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
My first boat was a 15 foot Terry from 1978,..that I bought somewhere around 96'

Was a great boat, Lot's of good memories,...Took it lots of places, Including out into Lake Superior,..
In hindsight that was pushing my luck,..

From the couple pictures of yours it looks like it been well taken care of,

Have fun with it, Look forward to seeing your progress,..

76Terry

Cadet
Here is some pictures of the transom. Am I wrong to think that the lip on top shouldn't be there. Shouldn't the top be one continuous piece? Rather than having that step that looks like it is painted wood? Is having a plate on a transom better than not having a plate? Ive read that its common to put one on when you know the transom is weakened.

Full transom 2.jpeg

Attachments

• Top of transom 2.jpeg
    Top of transom 2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • Driverside transom 2.jpeg
    Driverside transom 2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I looked at the pictures and I have a question. Did you check to verify that the transom isn't rotted? With the cracks and such, I would be very amazed if the transom was intact. It looks like there is more serious issues in the transom area that absolutely needs attention in my opinion.

Take a drill and a 1/4" or so size drill bit and drill a few holes as low as you possible can in the inside of the transom. Don't drill all the way through, only about a 3/4" or so. If dry light colored wood shavings comes out, you are in good shape and can refill the holes with some 3M 5200 sealant or such. However, if the shavings are dark colored and/or wet, you have a rotted transom and the will have to be replaced.

Not what you were wanting to hear, but it is a test to verify the boat is solid...

76Terry

Cadet
Thank you for staying with me so far. I just took the pictures to show the transom area. I was planning on replacing it. I feel like for being made in 76 its done a good job no shame in needing to be replace it now. I don't want to push my luck with a weakened transom especially If I'm gonna keep the 150 on it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you for staying with me so far. I just took the pictures to show the transom area. I was planning on replacing it. I feel like for being made in 76 its done a good job no shame in needing to be replace it now. I don't want to push my luck with a weakened transom especially If I'm gonna keep the 150 on it.

Well that makes me feel better knowing that was part of your rehab boat plans/work already. :thumb::thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This should be a great boat once you're done. 150hp is a Bit Much IMHO so I'd be looking to trade for a 115hp. To replace the Transom you'll need to either De-Cap the boat or cut the Gunwhales on the sides about 24" in front of the transom. Personally I'd do the latter. Sooo much easier! How's the bottom of the hull? If it needs repair it's lots easier to flip her.
Check the links in my signature lines below. I think you'll find them helpful.
Welcome Aboard and keep posting pics and questions!!!