Rivet idiot.

iamne

Cadet
Well, while trying to replace a few rivets on my keel guard on my boat I pulled a bonehead move and made a few holes too large 9/32" instead of 1/4". Im using 1/4" diameter closed end rivets as I don't have access to the inside of the hull without ripping the entire boat apart.

SO.... before we go any further I'll explain exactly where they are on the boat, they are all located on the very bottom on the keel guard and a couple where the keel guard starts at the towards the bow, so I will be going through 2 or 3 layers of aluminum depending on the location.

I cannot find 9/32" or 5/16" diameter closed end rivets because I assume they dont make them(Please correct me if I'm wrong).

I figure my options are as follows.

1. I use the 1/4" rivets with 3m 5200 and hope they hold,(they should snug down but they are slightly beyond the maximum sized hole allowed for 1/4" rivet, so Im a little worried.

2. I get some stainless steel screws with a coarse thread and simply screw them into the holes with 3m 5200( not sure how much larger diameter screw I should use)

3. Is option C...(your suggestions)

Im looking for the most structurally sound option without ripping my entire boat apart to gain access.

iamne

Cadet
I dont see anything there that would be appropriate? Whats your suggestion?

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That link has the 1/4" filter applied to Rivet Dia. Remove the filter and you'll see all the sizes available.

Capture.JPG

jbcurt00

Staff member
Iamne is correct, Granger doesnt have aluminum closed end blind rivets in 5/16ths, only steel and plastic.

I couldn't find any 5/16ths either.

You're off the max recommended hole size by 0.864/32, which is "only" 0.027in (27 thousandths)...

I'd be inclined to dip the rivet in 5200 and drive it home....

why are the rivets missing?

what boat?

pix of keel guard and missing rivets?

iamne

Cadet
I had drilled a few rivets out to replace them because there was a leak between the keel and hull so unfortunately simply sealing them from the outside didnt stop the leak. I wanted to avoid ripping the entire boat apart to use standard rivets. The boat is a 2000 Starcraft Starfire 170DC.

I took two random pieces of aluminum I had laying around my shop, drilled two 9/32” holes in and took my 1/4” rivets that I have and installed a rivet to see how snug(or not snug) it would be. They seem to hold tight. No visual gaps, no play in speration, had to use a ton of force to even rotate the two pieces at all. Would be the same amount of force (give or take) if you had tightened them together with a nut and bolt or even screwed.

I talked to one of the guys at Smokercraft(Starcraft) manucfacturing and we discussed our options. I told him I had tested out a couple and they seem snugged to the pont where prying the two pieces of aluminum apart eveb with a hammer and chisel wasnt possible without some serious time and force. Based on the location of the rivets, as long as they are snug and in theory wont be affected my large sheer force they should be ok with some 3m 5200. He said there would be no harm in simply adding a couple more rivets in the area.

Even though the holes were slightly larger then the allowed tolerance I felt confident they will without a doubt hold up. And since we both didnt see it affecting the structural integrity of the boat in any way the worst case scenario is I end up with a few leaky rivets just like I did before.

So I went ahead and replaced and sealed the rivets with 3M 5200fc and I will wait until next week to do a water test and check for leaks from the rivets I have replaced and any others that I may have missed.

In the mean time i’ll be waiting for the ice and snow to melt.

If anyone has any other options please post, There is no possible way Im the first person to make this mistake (am I???)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think it will seal perfectly. Remember, as you insert the rivets and use a riveting tool to spread them out, they also get larger in diameter to fill in any excess area as they expand. And that is why you will see you did the right thing and can now be a happy boater again. JMHO