Lexan windshield fabricator?

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Do any of you have a solid recommendation on somebody who could fabricate new windshield and side glass for my Lone Star restoration? I would like to put all new polycarbonate instead of the old hazed glass. She is a 1963 El Dorado and I have read of a few companies that might have this item, but I've been unable to locate one. Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check your local yellow pages for a plastic supply house that does hot-forming.

harringtondav

Commander
I helped my pal replace both sides of his curved windshield on his big Bluewater. They were mirror images. We removed one, and I made a paper pattern. They were curved, so it was tricky, but not difficult. I took the pattern to our local plastics distributor (Regal Plastics) and had them cut two out of a 1/4" sheet of tinted polycarb. I should have made the cut-outs myself. They used a hand scroll saw, like mine, but their edges were so rough it took me 3-4 hrs of sanding to smooth them. The new windshield sections cold formed back into place. It took both of us to drill, screw, bend, screw, one screw at at time until they were installed. Polycarb is tough, and easily handled the bend radius.

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Harringtondav, thanks for your input.

I was wondering if it would cold form if I clamped the center down and then bent it to the outside edges. This could be the solution I am seeking. Seems a bit pricey for the few places I have contacted on the web, and my budget has to be spent as wisely as possible on this build. My thought was to use the previous windshield as the template. It was made of polycarbonate, but it is deeply gouged. So perhaps if I cut the new sheet using the old one I can cold bend it. I have read that this is better than using heat on lexan. Guess the only way to find out is to do it at this point lol.

harringtondav

Commander
Harringtondav, thanks for your input.

I was wondering if it would cold form if I clamped the center down and then bent it to the outside edges. This could be the solution I am seeking. Seems a bit pricey for the few places I have contacted on the web, and my budget has to be spent as wisely as possible on this build. My thought was to use the previous windshield as the template. It was made of polycarbonate, but it is deeply gouged. So perhaps if I cut the new sheet using the old one I can cold bend it. I have read that this is better than using heat on lexan. Guess the only way to find out is to do it at this point lol.

I was coached by a co-engineer who knows plastics. Heating Lexan requires long, low temp (oven) to avoid rapid outgassing and bubbles. Your plan above is essentially what we did. As I recall the 1/4" Lexan/Polycarb could tolerate a 6" bend radius. The thinner the plastic, the smaller the min. radius. You could save money by going with 1/8" or 3/16", depending on your installation. It's tough stuff, so you won't loose too much strength. The only downside to Lexan vs. Acrylic is it scratches easier.. Wet detergent cleaning is a must.