1974 Reinell Tri Hull restore

blackbelts89

Recruit
Picked up this boat for $300, it will be my fourth boat restoration and my second Tri Hull Restoration. I know a lot of viewers think that Tri Hulls are garbage, but my 16ft Tri Hull Has been the most stable boat I have ever owned. The floor has been totally redone, that’s the hard part. I’m planning on installing new carpet seats and rewire the whole boat. Then the trailer will get a whole facelift as well. After restoring over 4 boats I thought it would be fun to share my progress via iboats. Will hopefully be able to get started on the restoring part this week. Will have pics uploaded soon

blackbelts89

Recruit
[No message]

Attachments

• photo308671.jpg
    photo308671.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308672.jpg
    photo308672.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308674.jpg
    photo308674.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308675.jpg
    photo308675.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308676.jpg
    photo308676.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My Dad had a Tri Hull in the Mid 70s, it was an Evinrude 16 ft outboard. It wasn't the best boat in rough water, but it steered like it was on rails, was very stable at all speeds, and barely tilted when four people were on one gunnel.
The Glastron Aqua-Lift II was a Tri Hull with a complex Deep Vee at the Transom. It was a very nice riding hull, even in the smaller lengths,

Is the transom still in good shape? I know you mentioned redoing the floor, so I will assume the Floatation Foam wasn't sopping wet. Look forward to seeing your project happen

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If tri-hulls are your thing..... thats ok

you mention the floor, usually foam, stringers and transom have long departed prior to the floor needing work.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I may have to tag along to see your project and how it comes out. I too have a tri hull, and I completely rebuilt it from the bare hull up.

blackbelts89

Recruit
Hi all. Sorry I haven’t made a post in a while. Been doing a lot of house keeping on the boat, removing all the original wiring, steering Etc. Just purchased a 2004 90hp mercury outboard for the boat. Will hopefully have pics up by tomorrow

blackbelts89

Recruit
The project came to a sudden halt unfortunately. When we were installing in the new motor we found out the transom was bad then began investigating into the stringers and found out those were bad. The previous owner went to great lengths to hide these by installing a new floor over the rotted stringers.

It was was decided it’s fate would remain at the city dump and ended up buying a brand new 20ft Alumaweld Sled

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is common. Why can folks not understand that boats rot from bottom up... I am tired of seeing the "soft spot in floor... that was built 40 years ago .. crap. Please if you are serious about a particular boat.. Understand that it will most likely be a hull up rebuild. " But Grandma only drove it to church on Sundays...." This thread is a great example of folks not understanding what they are getting into, and when someone gives them a suggestion... the OP always knows better. At least this OP owned up and let us know it went to the dump. Not meaning to be negative to those who love a particular at and will do whatever to get it done, but realize it is an undertaking, and seldom will it come in under budget or schedule.