Help! Aluminum boat paint

Jig Flipper

Recruit
Could someone help me with what kind of paint and what kind of prep I would need to do to paint my 2006 17’ aluminum bass tracker? I started with recarpeting my boat and had everything stripped down and now would like to put some fresh paint on it. I don’t seem to have anyone around my location that has much experience with painting boats. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Self etching primer on any bare aluminum, Rustoleum works good either rattle can or through a paint gun with appropriate hardener. I used the Rustoleum primer and paint in rattle can from my local Lowes when I redid the transom on our Starcraft. That was 5 years ago and the paint still looks good. You do not have to take the boat down to bare metal, but any flaking paint should be sanded off and feathered with primer before your top coat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Tnstratofam's use of etching primer. You could also use Zinc Chromatic primer, if you care to. Either one will work great for aluminum.

However, depending on the quality of finish you are looking for, will determine the top coat paint to use. If you are merely looking for a covered finish and nothing extremely fancy, Rustoleum will do fine. It can look very nice with the proper application. Not so sure about rattle can finishes though. You get what you pay for.

But if you are looking for a show finish, I would go to the nearest auto paint store and buy some quality top coat paint.

PPG paints makes one step and two step type paints. One step has the base color with top coat already in one setup. You still add a hardener but it doesn't need a clear coat final coat. The two step is a base coat with a hardened clear coat. That type finish can product the most amazing glossy finish you can get. Both types are spray on finishes. Wet sanding and polishing are the ways to achieve those show room finishes.

It really depends on what you want. But the final finish ALWAYS depends on the prep work. That is where you do the most work to get the finish you are looking for. Don't skimp on the prep. The smoothest you can get the primer, the better the final will be. If you can feel any imperfections, they will show up in the final finish...period! JMHO!

Jig Flipper

Recruit
Thanks a lot for your help guys! I would like for it to have a quality paint job. With being said I plan to get some really good paint and make sure there’s no corners cut on the prep work. I’m not familiar with how the application of these paints work but was wanting to make what I used was plenty durable so if I wear to graze a stump or something it wouldn’t scratch easily. Is it possible to use a extra clear coat or something in that order? Thanks again for any help!

zool

Captain
No clear coat is gonna protect it from scraping an object, but it will make it more difficult to repair. I good 2 part, single stage paint will give good gloss, and be easy to touch up scuffs and scrapes.

PPG's Delfleet line is tough as nails, and comes in single stage. Delfleet Essentials is their budget line, Evolution is the top tier.

Jig Flipper

Recruit
Ok sounds great. What about the prep? What is the best process to get it ready for paint?

zool

Captain
Ok sounds great. What about the prep? What is the best process to get it ready for paint?

It kinda depends, whats the condition of the surface?...is there dents and dings that need fairing?, is it painted or bare aluminum?

If its ready to paint, you wash the boat with warm water and dawn dish soap. The wipe the surface with a wax/grease remover, then sand with 180-240 grit paper, then reclean with wax/grease remover, then prime with epoxy primer (fine for over paint or bare aluminum), then resand with 240-320 paper, then paint with the topcoat.

This is for PPG essentials or most any other systems.

PPG Epoxy Primer- ESU430

PPG Essentials Single Stage Poly Enamel Topcoat- DFE20