Painting an outboard gearcase, but there's a catch....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Rustoleum with the Hardener IS a two part paint. I used it and it's Hard as nails, resists the Oil and Gas spills and is holding up well. I just don't see why it's necessary to pay the extra expense for the other paints. My Rustoleum is holding up extremely well.

WOG, I am not saying anything is wrong with Rustoleum paints. I actually used them (with hardener) on my boat project. But if you are having paints mixed for certain colors or shades, automotive paints are the answer. And I have used PPG paints a lot and know how to mix and shoot them with out any issues, So I navigate towards them most of the time. I like how they apply and look and since I have the equipment to use them, I use them.

And as far as cost goes, some of the colors I use I already have available from other projects. So it cost basically very little if I just use what I have on hand most of the time.

I am not on a crusade to use only PPG paints. Just stating what I used. I don't have much Rustoleum paint laying around most of the time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm Not Banging on you or anyone else that uses the Name Brand paints. Please pardon me if I offended in any way!!! I was just pointing out that Good Ole' Rusty Paint will do a good job on an outboard or any other boat part. PPG IS good stuff and if you got it...Use it!!! I can mix about any color I need with a color wheel and a few 1/2 pint cans of Rustoleum Colors As everybody knows I'm a C.O.B and always look for the Cheapest way , as long as it's effective!!! Sorry If I offended. Was NOT my intention.:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Don’t they make the factory colors in a rattle can . Or is it not factory paint that your matching up ?

G

I have BRP/Evinrude OEM white paint in rattle cans, and I have had good success over the years painting motor legs with this paint, when I used it over Zinc chromate primer.

I'm getting a little more involved with this gearcase because its a charcaol unit thats going on a white motor.
I've wet sanded the finish with 400 grit and its taken the gloss finish off nicely.

My thinking right now, is (2) coats of Zinc Chromate Primer, empahasis on some bare spots, (400 wetsand between coats), then (2) coats of Rustoleum "professional" Gray Aluminum primer.

Still contemplating a two part paint.

GM280 and Woodon are right, I should seriously consider a 2 part.

I found a single stage Acrylic Auto paint (with separate hardener and reducer), which I'd like to shoot using a Pravail Sprayer.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if you can shot with a prevail though .. Probably could ...

G

Mr. Phelps, I'm currently looking at Urethane finishes, I like the PPG Delfleet you mentioned, but I've discovered the PPG site is really a PIA to navagate, you can't pull up color charts, and you can't select colors and paint numbers you want. I did send an email to PPG, and I'm hoping they will get back to me so I can tell them what I want to do. Thise fenders and rims look NICE!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah , the sight is a pain .. I just go by the paint store and they have a big book of colors . They can also match colors if you want .. If you do go with that paint Mae sure you get some of the reducer for it ..

G

Well, I finally went and done it. I found the original PPG paint Codes for my engine and had them prepared in 2 part Paint rattle cans,where you have to install a button at the bottom of the can, to activate the hardener. below is a pic of how I recieved the Lower Unit, but i did have it re-sealed (including the bearing carrier O-Rings) before I got into painting it.

Attachments

• photo310176.jpg
    photo310176.jpg
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 0
G

I started with a 2 part epoxy primer after wet sanding the original finishes with 400 grit. Since the original paint was in pretty good condition on the motor leg, just weathered and worn, I decided to shoot that too.

Attachments

• photo310177.jpg
    photo310177.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
G

I needed something to suspend the lower unit for Priming, so without telling my wife, I placed a 2 x 4 between the window sill of the Laundry room and my bike trailer, and hung it from that. I was able to get on both sides of it, and she never knew it was there. I was able to both prime and paint it in that place. Here it is, drying, after 2 coats of epoxy primer,:D

Attachments

• photo310178.jpg
    photo310178.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
G

I didn't take any more pix after that (I'm a one-man show) and wanted to get it done. After the primer, I applied 2 coats of the PPG (Evinrude OceanPro White) to the leg and gearcase, followed by 2 coats of 2 part clear coat. Needless to say, I was impressed. The engine looks almost new, and it was well taken care of to begin with (those are the original decals and paint on the hood). Thanks for all your guidance, guys, you're right, 2 part paint beats OEM rattle cans anyday. I'm going to do my 1992 25 Evinrude next. :whoo:

Attachments

• photo310179.jpg
    photo310179.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I needed something to suspend the lower unit for Priming, so without telling my wife, I placed a 2 x 4 between the window sill of the Laundry room and my bike trailer, and hung it from that. I was able to get on both sides of it, and she never knew it was there. I was able to both prime and paint it in that place. Here it is, drying, after 2 coats of epoxy primer,:D

Have you tried cleaning parts in the dishwasher? That will work one time before a skillet launch! :eek:

The finished job looks good, Capt.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have you tried cleaning parts in the dishwasher? That will work one time before a skillet launch! :eek:

The finished job looks good, Capt.

Bwawawawawaw. That’s funny đŸ˜†.

Very nice paint job BTW. Looks amazing

gm280

Supreme Mariner
CaptErich, I'd say you did a great job on your motor finish from the pictures. You will get great service out of that for sure. Thumbs Up sir!

G

Thanks Guys! Coming from you that really means something.

I've washed plastic parts from my outboards in the kitchen sink with Dawn detergent, but my wife sees the plastic and doesn't get upset, now actual aluminum/metal motor parts? Thats a line I'm not gonna cross!:nono:

Woodon, the moment of truth is approaching on that bow roller repair. I sanded, faired in and primed the repair that was performed under your wise direction. All I have to do now is replace the bottom paint before letting her back down on the roller. I have no doubt your repair worked.