Delam of gel coat on hull but no holes

mycrush

Cadet
I have had three experts tell me to leave the hull along end use the hull because I am just going to cruse around the San Diego Bay but I want to fix the problem. The areas are large and the boat does not take on water. If you kn.ow of someone in the area that will take this on, it is a 14' runabout 1959.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
got pics?

normally, it involves grinding off the offending gel coat, fixing the underlying fiberglass, and then fairing the hull, and re-spraying gel coat.

on a 14' boat, assume about 100 hours (6 weekends)

Bondo

Staff member
If you kn.ow of someone in the area that will take this on,

Ayuh,...... iboats is a Boater's Diy site,...... not so much a repair shop referral site,.....

Post up some pictures, 'n We can walk ya through, how to do it yerself,.....

mycrush

Cadet
There are two areas about 2' by 1' on each side of the hull but nothing is broken through where water comes in to the boat. It is the getlcoat delam photo308378.jpg .. It is much more flat and level as it looks in this photo.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhhmmm, unfortunately on a 60 year old boat, the cracking is fairly typical. 2 ways of dealing with this. One...use a dremel or drill with a "V" grinding bit and grind the cracks out and fill with gelcoat paste. Two...Grind and remove ALL the areas that are cracked and Re-Gelcoat them. Option one May or may not last very long. Option two takes a fair amount of time and labor but should hold up longer. Is the cracking only in this one area?

mycrush

Cadet
there is another area, same size on other side of hull. Thanks for getting back to my questions.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Woodonglass ....if there is no sentimental attachment....option 3.... buy a different boat.