How to remove foam after vinyl removed

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I pulled the vinyl from the sides and ceiling of my cabin but there are a bunch of spots where the foam was left behind. Is there something I can use, preferably spray on, that will make removing it easier?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A wire wheel cup brush on a drill makes quick work of it. Keep a shop vac hose next to it and catch most of the dust. I e tried several “liquids” and they tend to make more work.

harringtondav

Commander
^^^+1. For overhead work this is the safest method. Styrofoam, polystyrene foam, dissolves quickly with solvents like acetone, and...well, gasoline. Both have risky fumes, and leave muck to scrape off after the solvent.

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looks like the wire wheel it is... Gonna have to get everything out to get ready for the cleanup

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A cheap roll of plastic sheeting works well to cover things. Fold up the plastic carefully when removing, use the shop vac while removing and the mess isn’t that bad. Respirator wouldn’t hurt or at least a mask.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I also use a cup brush in the angle grinder. just dont sit in one location for any length of time.