Fuel tank install with water under to bilge

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
All compartments self draining to the bilge hmmmm I like that idea too!
No thanks...I prefer a dry bilge.

Can’t see purposely making a boat vulnerable to pump failures and dead batteries. All drains should be routed directly overboard

chevymaher

Commander
And these are the conversations that make me put heaters in the boat on dewy mornings. Sit with it in snow. It never had a wet foot in it yet. I did spill a half cup of coffee that was immediately cleaned up. I am a believer. It can't get wet inside for any reason.

I will need therapy for 30 years if I get caught in a cloudburst on the river.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ayuh,...... Not arguin' yer points,..... My point is, without limber holes to drain any water, the hulls gonna rot anyways,.....

You could put down a sheet of poly to stop the foam from stickin' to the bottom,.....
The water will then weep to the limber holes, 'n then drain,.....

In a sealed cavity, the water just gathers, when it freezes, the foam gets destroyed, turned into a sponge,....

Like your thinkin Bondo.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
No thanks...I prefer a dry bilge.

Can’t see purposely making a boat vulnerable to pump failures and dead batteries. All drains should be routed directly overboard

That would be great to be able to do Big D.
My stringers are at some points 24" high/below the floor. Hence below deck and below water line. Typically guys use redundant pumps in a large bilge.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That would be great to be able to do Big D.
My stringers are at some points 24" high/below the floor. Hence below deck and below water line. Typically guys use redundant pumps in a large bilge.
my decks are above the waterline. I have fore and aft bilge pumps.

Been there many times, but it’s stiil rather unnerving standing on the deck waiting for ankle deep water to drain

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Misunderstood. My deck is above the water line. Their are deck drains to exit off boat floor. They are flush/couple inches above deck as you go to stern.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Probably near the end of responses at this point. But does anybody have a correct interpretation of how to install a fuel
tank under deck by Coast Guard standards. Don't care what some mfg's do or how the rehabber did it based on what they found.
I'm not making any cares on how anyone did it or does it. Just a right clarification.
Any mods have an answer?
This seems to be such a loose topic in regards to what is allowed by CG. CG references mfg's regs not rehabs so the saying is "you can do what you want, it's your boat".
Insurance won't recognize that only CG regs. Not wanting to beat a dead horse.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
This seems to be such a loose topic in regards to what is allowed by CG. CG references mfg's regs not rehabs so the saying is "you can do what you want, it's your boat".
Insurance won't recognize that only CG regs. Not wanting to beat a dead horse.....

It's a loose topic because the coast guard only mandates the construction, testing and venting of the tank.

They are also very specific on the types of hose and hose connections to used but only make generalized recommendations as to how the tank should be mounted.

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...YC.1002.01.pdf

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ok , Here is one in favor of coffin, a poly tank in a cabin boat. poly tanks emit gas odor so if it was in a air tight coffin that would force it to only stay in that area , however i would still want a drain hole in rear of it to allow for notification that there was a liquid leak and water would have to have a way to travel under it like a half pipe or something . but yeah permeation of fumes sucks .

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Micky,
Thanks for the call and conversation. Looking forward to you getting wet. hmmmm The boat I mean. :happy:

Last edited:

zool

Captain
ok , Here is one in favor of coffin, a poly tank in a cabin boat. poly tanks emit gas odor so if it was in a air tight coffin that would force it to only stay in that area , however i would still want a drain hole in rear of it to allow for notification that there was a liquid leak and water would have to have a way to travel under it like a half pipe or something . but yeah permeation of fumes sucks .

Were gonna be forced to convert out boats to electric soon anyway....so the coffin will be filled with batteries ;)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Actually Zool I'm praying for someone to invent a hydrogen fuel cell that could be converted into any gasoline engine bay :)
i was pondering a nuclear reactor but i havent heard back if they have one that bolts to a chevy bell housing:)

zool

Captain
Actually Zool I'm praying for someone to invent a hydrogen fuel cell that could be converted into any gasoline engine bay :)
i was pondering a nuclear reactor but i havent heard back if they have one that bolts to a chevy bell housing:)

You may have to settle for dilithium crystals..........

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
god how nice would it be to ride along in silence yet have the power to roll out ... look forward to that day :)