Water getting in.........

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Honey I'm home...………
Finally getting a bit of down time, though the work season is expected to run up into November some time. That's longer than usual for various reasons, but at least it helps pay for the work on the boat. All I need now is the time! But I did get at it today and started into the engine mount on the Starboard side. ( One side at a time to maintain structural integrity )

I cut away the glass from the top of the mount and removed the short stubby sections at the transom end, but not before taking some measurements. And I still have the port side (mirror image) to fall back on for reference if needed.

Anyway, the engine mount was mostly mush and when I removed it, it exposed another stringer inside the cavity/channel that I left intact to house the new mount. Assuming the stringer to be mush, I cut away the top glass section and true to form, it was. This wasn't helped by a drain hole that was allowing water to soak into the mount/stringer due to a gap in the original glass. This is shown in the picture with the wood chisel inserted into the hole.

I'm going to make up the engine mount using five 3/4" ply laminates, which will give me the right width to fit back into the existing cavity, including the new stringer, which I'll bring up to the full height of the actual motor mount.

I'll be cutting the ply strips and angling the bottom edges to follow the angle of the hull and I'll be doing them in pairs, so that I'll also have them all cut for the port side, as it's a mirror image of the starboard side. So, a nice cosy day in the garage tomorrow working at the bench saw.

I'll include some pics with my next post.