Water getting in.........

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
you didnt grind enough of the old away for the tabbing to have something to hold onto.

Yea I saw that too. Just didn't want to get him too mad. It's a learning curve for sure.
Tabbing should come @ 2-3" onto hull with the next going 2-3" past that. Even more iffin ya want to. I ran my tabbings complete side to side.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Your plywood looks lots different than what we get in the states. Prettier even. Project is coming right along.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I get what you're all saying about the tabbing and I intend to go further with the full coverings. I'll grind back some more as each sheet of glass may is progressively larger than the previous. I just wanted to get the stringers in place. And don t worry about getting me mad I'm here to learn! Thanks for the input.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
As if I need encouragement to get this work finished, this is what awaits me... Calm morning on the bay.jpg

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, but it has to be a hard wood. Something that lasts and stands the test of time.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyway, if we're going to talk dirty...…………...Today I got the starboard side stringer cut out and did a whole load of grinding. I've ground back a ton more of gel coat in preparation for glassing the new stringer in, along with glassing in the port side. I had previously just cleaned enough gel off to get the stringer tabbed in. Today I removed the wedges on the port side and the stringer is good and solid, so when it's fully covered in glass it will be there for life, or for mine at least.
No pics as you wouldn't be able to see anything for the dust...………..

chevymaher

Commander

LOL I know that is right. I showed a pic of 3 inches of standing water once. Looked like a flat dry place because of all the dust floating on it. Dry dust it was so thick.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Anyway, if we're going to talk dirty...…………...Today I got the starboard side stringer cut out and did a whole load of grinding. I've ground back a ton more of gel coat in preparation for glassing the new stringer in, along with glassing in the port side. I had previously just cleaned enough gel off to get the stringer tabbed in. Today I removed the wedges on the port side and the stringer is good and solid, so when it's fully covered in glass it will be there for life, or for mine at least.

We like dirty pics!:cool:

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm away from tomorrow working for the next nine days, but I'm happy with where I got to today. The starboard stringer is fitted and tabbed in and just waiting for the full glassing, like the port side, thanks to the lovely weather we've had over the last few days.
The glass for both stringers is cut out and good to go, so I'll be straight into it, when I get back, weather permitting. Just a smallish amount of grinding to do on the engine mounts, so I can live with that. On that note, the current (rotten) mounts are made up in softwood, but I'm thinking of replacing them with laminated 3/4" plywood, which I have a lot of. I'm thinking this approach will be stronger than the original. In the picture shown, the top of the transom will be filled in using "peanut butter" just for added rigidity. Then the rear section of the cap will cover everything up on completion.
Otherwise, no news. "On the road again...…………" Stringers 2.jpg

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I got back home after 11 days away and started playing catch up on a number of things, including the boat. Both stringers are glassed in with just another two layers of glass to apply to each of them, but I ran out of catalyst today, so that will have to wait until I get back from my next trip after the weekend. Then I'll start working on the engine mount stringers. Fantastic weather, though almost too warm for using fibreglass and resin! But I'm not complaining.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would Give those stringers a good soaking coat of resin before you lay the glass so it doesn’t suck it out of your cloth

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
An fyi.... I do a lot of glassing on the flat. I do it on a work bench like stringers wet on wet etc and trim then flip other side over when ready. Great for tough spots. Then add tabbing after placement.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would Give those stringers a good soaking coat of resin before you lay the glass so it doesn’t suck it out of your cloth

Thanks for the input, and yes, I do give all bare wood a good soaking in resin before laying on any glass. This is a one time only job and I have no wish to ever have to repeat it. Only a little bit of cutting and grinding to do on the mounts, so that's not so bad. Back on the road again tomorrow so nothing much happening until next week when I have time and more catalyst.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just checking in to say that I'm still alive. Nothing at all is happening on the boat as work has been pretty relentless and looks set to continue that way. June is expected to be especially busy, but I don't know how that's possible. I haven't gotten near the boat since my last post and if things continue like this, I may not even get it back in the water this summer. Downtime back at home has been very short and sweet.That means I will have more time and less pressure to look into other jobs I've been considering, like building a hard top for her. So, clouds and silver linings etc. But in the meantime I'll keep on lurking, and dreaming and wishing...………..