13’ Dell Quay Dory restore

Jman946

Cadet
Hello, I just bought a 1973 Dell Quay Dory 13’ and my educated guess says there is probably water in the hull from a couple of cracks in the deck and the brass banding that’s half gone down the center of the hull. I plan on taking on the restore and cutting out the deck to replace the foam but this will be my first project. The Vshape of the deck has me a little intimidated. Anybody have any ideas or advice of the floor replacement? Or at least an idea of what the structure is like underneath the deck? Thanks!

Jman946

Cadet
Sorry forgot the pics... here ya go

Attachments

• A6B9278E-74FB-4961-836A-92D0B6F0B66B.png
    A6B9278E-74FB-4961-836A-92D0B6F0B66B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • A75A53CC-48D4-4004-A386-B888366D831A.png
    A75A53CC-48D4-4004-A386-B888366D831A.png
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • EBE2C521-D673-446C-9BC3-707AFB3629CB.png
    EBE2C521-D673-446C-9BC3-707AFB3629CB.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice trihull. Hang in there lots of great guys to get back to you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Your project boat kind of looks like mine. And I rebuilt mine after removing everything to a bare hull. So there is lots of help on these forums and if you are willing to jump in and get started, ask your questions and you will receive a ton of ideas and suggestions.

One thing I will say at this point. Take a ton of pictures from every angle you can possible think of, and also measurement and sketch a drawing of your boat to post those measurements. You will for sure use both the pictures and measurements later on in the project.

Next thing you need to do is figure out how you want to refurbish your boat. Are you mainly looking to rebuilt it like it presently is made, or change up anything.

What engine is on it presently and does it run?

Jman946

Cadet
Honestly I like the double step platform up front so I’ve been thinking of when I do the demo I’d probably mark maybe 2” in around the inside of all edges of the boat (leaving the front platform and whatever soaked foam is underneath for bow weight). Now these dorys are built like whalers so the foam is structural. This is where I mentioned that V shape on the inside had me intimidated. So when I take the foam out and go to pour new foam in I’d just go for a flat deck with some 1/2” ply on top while the foam is still tacky so it adheres to the deck??? Does this sound like a reasonable idea? Is this gonna be way too much work to have usable (probably not completed) by summer?

Jman946

Cadet
And thanks for the tips about extra pics and measurements. I see where it could come in handy in the future. But to answer your question about how I wanna build it, I was hoping to add a side console with a wooden bench seat with a storage compartment. Currently looking for a new motor. Between 10-25 hp range. Really just trying to get out on the water, cruise, and fish

Jman946

Cadet
Well both seats in the boat will come out. Then simply put I was hoping to be able to cut around the edges of the boat leaving about a 2” lip to fiberglass back down to in the future. Then remove foam add small stringers of that thin marine mdf stuff(idk what it’s called). Foam them in place, ply over that then fiberglass to seal it.

Jman946

Cadet
And I don’t want to get into the bulge and transom area as they feel pretty solid and there aren’t any big cracks or anything

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It is a Whaler right ? It says it on the side .. Looks like a “tub” constructed boat ... I would call Whaler and ask if you could pull the tub out to replace the foam and stringers if it has any .. Re-install tub and re-foam ..

Jman946

Cadet
It’s a Del Quay Dory which is a whaler copy cat. Basically a whaler just heavier coming out of the factory. Same design I’ve heard though just hoping there was someone out there that went through the same process

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Don't know if there is anybody that has done the exact same boat, but there are tons of others that are so similar that you can easily read a few threads and get ideas very easily. Search the tri-hull threads and see what's available. Ideas flow from everywhere on these forums.