Heritage Tandem Axle Fender Bunks

tennvols93

Cadet
I am hoping this is the correct forum to post this question in, if not, I apologize. I want to replace my fender bunks on my trailer. The wood is completely gone, and the carpet is old and needing replaced as well. I really hate to go back to wood, but that seems to be the easiest choice. Does anyone know of a different composite/plastic material that I can use instead? Maybe a place to order those pieces prefabbed? Any suggestions would be great!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure I totally understand what you are looking to replace. Pop a few pictures and you will get a lot more ideas and suggestions. JMHO

tennvols93

Cadet
The bunk inside the fender. You can see it starting to come loose from wood rot.

Attachments

• F511255E-7AE5-404C-A20E-C49B57718419.jpeg
    F511255E-7AE5-404C-A20E-C49B57718419.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
My brothers trailer looks like yours. He had some black lexan from something he did before. Covered that with carpet.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont use pressure treated if you have an aluminum boat

most composites do not have the load holding capability.

most of the time, it is the carpet on the bunks that promotes the decay of the wood.

its ok to use the composite decking material as a cap on top the wood vs carpet

however a good chunk of white oak will last decades.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
PT, or any exterior grade plywood will work great. As previous stated, coat them with either epoxy, or polyester resins and fiberglass if you want this to be a for ever project. Then carpet and happy boating. The picture made the difference with your replies. Everybody could see what you were talking about and working with.

tennvols93

Cadet
PT, or any exterior grade plywood will work great. As previous stated, coat them with either epoxy, or polyester resins and fiberglass if you want this to be a for ever project. Then carpet and happy boating. The picture made the difference with your replies. Everybody could see what you were talking about and working with.

Thank you for the help. Got the old ones off (They used freaking osb), Got both pieces cut and covered in carpet. I used a "Concrete Epoxy under the carpet to seal. On the exposed side, I used a leftover can of Flex Seal to paint it. Picked up some stainless steel machine screws and nylon nuts instead of the cheap factory machine screws. I've got one side on. Ran out of daylight this weekend, so I will do the other side this weekend.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you for the help. Got the old ones off (They used freaking osb), Got both pieces cut and covered in carpet. I used a "Concrete Epoxy under the carpet to seal. On the exposed side, I used a leftover can of Flex Seal to paint it. Picked up some stainless steel machine screws and nylon nuts instead of the cheap factory machine screws. I've got one side on. Ran out of daylight this weekend, so I will do the other side this weekend.

Sounds like you have it all fixed now. I really don't think you will ever have any more issues with them now. Thumbs Up!