Deck replacement - 2001 Crestliner 1650 Tiller

CheezyPete

Cadet
Hi, I'm in the UK and just acquired a 2001 aluminium Crestliner 1650 Tiller; there's a soft spot about the size of a dinner plate in the floor about a yard from the transom - the rest of the deck is solid, covered with worn carpet, a bit wet in places but solid. I want to replace the deck and from what I've read I can just take up the old deck, replace any crushed or wet foam, and put some new down. I'm totally new to this, so I have a few questions I hope I can find an answer to here.

1) I have 3 pedestal seat bases - do they just unscrew from the floor?
2) Do I use 3/4" or 1/2" marine ply and should I seal the ply with anything, and if so how many coats
3) Do I need to put a layer of fibreglass on top of the ply?

Many thanks for any replies

oldrem

Commander
Welcome to the forums. Lot's of good folks here to help. For some quick answers,

1) Might get lucky and unscrew without the screws/bolts breaking, may need to pull deck with them attached and deal with them from underneath like I had to with some of mine.

2) If properly supported, 1/2" is good enough. I went with 5/8" on my tinny just to make it extra sound. Yes, definitely coat it top and bottom - and especially the edges. Use the OTF Old Timers Formula followed by a couple coats of spar urethane or varnish - depending on which version of the OTF you use

3) Not necessary on a tinny

I don't know if you will find wood or aluminum stringers on yours. If wood, chances are they will need replacing - hope they're aluminum.

Not quite finished with my tinny, but here's some of my journey https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...-1977-sylvan-sea-monster-side-console-rebuild

CheezyPete

Cadet
Thanks for the info , so ...

What is "OTF Old Timers Formula" ?!

And other than removing the floor, how could I find out about the original construction of this boat, in particular if it would have aluminium stingers or wooden ones. The boat is some distance away so I'd like to see if I can find out this info before travelling to where it is to repair it.

oldrem

Commander
Old Timers Formula (many of us use Spar Urethane in place of the varnish) https://forums.iboats.com/forum/own...ld-boat-1968-starcraft-jupiter-merc-650/page9

As for construction of your boat, hopefully someone who knows your particular boats construction will chime in - otherwise you may have to do some web research. Most likely it will be aluminum though.

Try doing some searches here on iboats - someone may have already rebuilt the same or similar model

fishrdan

Admiral
I rebuilt a 2001 Crestliner 1800 Superhawk, the construction should be similar. The boat has aluminum stringers and when I re-decked, I drilled all new holes going into the stringers. 3/4 plywood is overkill, use 1/2 plywood . I used 3/4, but my deck panels are larger, and I wanted solid decks. They are rock solid, but not sure I would go 3/4" again, extra weight.

I used dougfir marine plywood and treated it with an antifreeze/borate solution, then Termin8. I'm in the desert, and don't have to deal with constant wet conditions, but still wanted the wood protected. OTF is a good option, heavy initial coat of thinned SPAR that will penetrate deep into the plywood. Not sure what plywood you have in the UK, but "5-ply 1/2" exterior dougfir plywood" is very rigid, cheap alternative to "marine" plywood. Your boat was built with CCA treated plywood, which is very hard to find. DON'T use ACQ (green) treated plywood as it will literally eat the boat.

I don't remember how the seat bases were attached, screws only or nuts/bolts, but there were aluminum backing plates underneath the decking, that the seat bases attach to. I used #14 SS screws reattaching the seat bases, re-clocked the aluminum plates so the screw holes were fresh. IF all the seat base screws only hit open plywood and no stringers, I would nylock nut/bolt them onto the decks with aluminum backing plates underneath. I drilled all fresh deck screw holes into the stringers, so everything looked symetrical (vinyl covered decks) and I had all good stringer screw holes. If using carpet, you can re-use the existing screw holes (if not stripped) as the carpet will hide the screw heads, use old deck panels for templates. The deck screws from the factory are haphazardly placed here and there, not a biggie as carpet hides them.

Be careful removing the deck screws, they are a specialized self tapping screw and hard to find. Dig dirt out the screw heads, then removed the screws, I still managed to strip out a bunch. I went back with new #10 truss head screws, instead of the OEM screws. Used a 3" long zinc coated #10 steel screw of the same pitch, with the head chopped off, as a tap for threading/tapping the stringer screw holes.

Fiberglassing the decking is the best option, but expensive. All deck penetrations have to be completely sealed if using fiberglass, or moisture will get in and not be able to get out, then the rot begins. OTF should penetrate deeper than poly resin, but OTF's surface won't be as strong. I cut some of the 3/4 marine plywood I treated (flooded) with Termina8 and it went in 3-4 layers deep. Treat the wood so it can't rot, or seal the wood so water can't get in to rot the wood. Crestliner used the first option, so the wood will get wet, but it can dry out again. Looks like it worked well in your boat, except for 1 deck panel. I remember the same with my boat, only 1 deck panel was showing signs of rot.

If you need to remove any of the clear carpet adhesive Crestliner used, lacquer thinner will cut it, you just have to keep the surface wettted. I put paper towels on the surfaces (boat sides), moistened the towels with lacquer thinner in a spray bottle, then covered with plastic - garbage bag. Don't do this by flames or in enclosed areas as lacquer thinner is extremely flammable. I used a respirator, and couldn't smell the lacquer thinner. Also, tons or nitrile gloves.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

CheezyPete

Cadet
appreciate the advice many thanks to all.

I feel less daunted now about doing this job - we do have a very damp climate here so I'll make sure i treat the wood thoroughly .

fishrdan

Admiral
FDan do you still have a link to your rebuild for a look from CheeseyPete?

I didn't document my rebuild... But here's a pic of my 1800 stringers, to give CP and idea of what it may look like under the decking of his 1650

Ohhh yes... If you have an underdeck fuel tank, and it uses aluminum L brackets to hold the fuel tank in place, the aluminum brackets may/could/will cut holes into the fuel tank. :eek: That's why I have this picture. I didn't discover the holes in the fuel tank until I completed the rebuild and topped off the tank, and it leaked into the bilge... (now where is the nuclear explosion emoji?)

Crestliner had a recall on my boat, due to the fuel tank bracket problem, and they sent me a tank and new plastic brackets, no charge. As I recall, there were several models and a couple of years affected by the fuel tank recall.

You can see the seat base backing plates in the pic, sticking out from underneath the decking.

Attachments

• photo307562.jpg
    photo307562.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 1

CheezyPete

Cadet
Thanks for all the advice, its going to be a big help - I'll try to post some pics as I get it done .

can anyone tell me what this is ? It’s attached to the transom

Attachments

• photo307594.jpg
    photo307594.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 1

CheezyPete

Cadet
hilariously that item on the inside of my transom - is a lock to protect the outboard bolt being accessed :D
They guy I bought it from said it was locked and gave me a key, but when he looked to show me where the lock was he couldn't find it .

So, I'm just getting to the deck - it seems a lot wider than a standard sheet of ply, the centre section I'm replacing first is approx 190cm x 160cm ( 63 x 74 inches ) , the ply sheets in the UK come in 244cm x 122cm (96 x 47 inches) - SO I guess I'll need to either join two pieces together or have two smaller sections instead of one large.

Can anyone give me info about types of Vinyl I can use to cover the floor? I've found some "non-slip boat deck vinyl" but its £60 per meter which is a bit pricey - can we just use interior vinyl flooring?

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Gosh there are a million of them. I can't help with this one. My deck is getting painted. If I had the green I would use the latest vinyl's that look like teak wood, on my boat. Still though I'm not a vinyl floor kinda guy.

oldrem

Commander
Can anyone give me info about types of Vinyl I can use to cover the floor? I've found some "non-slip boat deck vinyl" but its £60 per meter which is a bit pricey - can we just use interior vinyl flooring?

Many of us use Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring which I think is also sold in the UK. Check EBay and Amazon over there