1961 Owens Sea Raider Skiff hull questions.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for all the help on this guys! The boat weighs only 5,400 lbs. The owner had it weighed. I saw the weight tickets along with the receipts from the new engine install. Yup, the owner showed me a picture of him on water skis off the back of it! I know the trailer would have to be custom to support that particular hull. I live less than a quarter of a mile from my boat ramp so It won't even be going anywhere far or fast. I left an offer on the table for it. Citing the need for a better trailer. He knows that, he also has to get rid of it because he's leaving at the end of next month. If I get her, I'll be sure to post all that's going to go on with her. Once again, Thanks for the responses and advice. : )

The nature of a lap sided wood boat is what makes it a non-trailer boat. Has nothing to do with the trailer.

The boat will leak like a sieve for a few hours to a few days every time it is put in the water until the wood swells back up

I suggest you look for a slip if you get it

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Theflyingengineer, I'm not really looking for another boat either, I have two already. Like you, it caught my eye while perusing CL. Yup, slips are like gold here on Oak Island and good luck finding one available. Thought about just mooring it in a cove I know of but the County is cracking down on leaving them in any one spot for over two weeks at a time because too many are being abandoned. Also the topside needs a lot of work as well as the galley and V berth. It does have the original Alcohol stove and Ice Box in it still though! Hey, if YOU buy it, then I won't have to worry about it anymore either! LOL!!

Scott, Yes, I'd really need to find a way to keep her in the water for the season!

Ned L

Commander
Certainly being a wooden boat she would be better off in the water,..... that said I would contend that this boat (sheet plywood bottom and plywood lapstrake sides) should not have to swell up much, if at all when dropped in the water. From a construction point of view this is not a bad hull for dry sailing.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Asked the owner about that again he said it really only takes about 30 mins or so and it's not seeping. Still will need to engineer a better trailer even if I'm only going a 1/4 mile down the road to the ramp.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
R U going buy the ole puppy? Nice boat! This is going to be a cool project.