Waxing and Buffing

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure if this is the right forum section but looking for some advice and references on cleaning and waxing my hull. Questions are:
1. Best way to clean hull. Will be done on a trailer, is there a way to get under trailer bunks?
2. Steps to buffing/waxing. Recommended products?
3. Any other tips and tricks?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

harringtondav

Commander
Everyone has their secret recipe. First, under bunks is not worth the effort in my mind, unless you have hull fouling. If so, place a floor jack under a chine on one side and jack the boat up enough to get at it, then repeat on the other side. Most fresh water fouling can be removed with a power washer. A diluted solution of muratic acid and water in a spray bottle will take care of the rest. Other pros can work you thru salt water fouling.

Where you start is a matter of the degree of sun fade/chalking. Starting from moderate/severe fade, I'd start with Meguires Unigrit 1500 or 2000. Hand wet sand. A sheet lasts a long time. Finish with their 3000 grit. That's where I start with a biannual shine up. Then I use 3M Perfect-It 0604 Machine polish with a D/A polisher. Then 3M 39062 Ultrafine Machine polish if you're real fussy.

The wax is your choice, but I avoid cleaner waxes at this point. I always loose ground. I use a hand applied coat of the old Liquid Glass, if I can find it.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks...any tips for touching up scuffs in the gel coat?

Post a pick of the scuffs. Many times they buff out as the gel should be at least 20 mills thick

Simetime you have to repair the gel

chevymaher

Commander
Thanks...any tips for touching up scuffs in the gel coat?

Coarser paper and sand it. Then move on to finer grits. I do bodywork on car restorations. Doing Gel Coat is more like doing bodywork without paint than painting.

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dumb question, but do you clean, wet sand, polish/buff and wax the entire hull? I assume the oxidation gets everywhere just easier to see on a color.

harringtondav

Commander
Beyond removing any hard water fouling, I don't spend any time below the chines. The hull is out of the sun 100% of the time. Mine is still glossy (enough) after 23 yrs. I do shine up the front hull from the bow the water line, just because it's visible.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’ve never owned a boat that rubbing compound wouldn’t bring back to life. Can’t imagine using sand paper on gel coat.

I’m a salt guy. Keeping a good quality wax on the boat is a nessary evil to ease clean up and minimize corrosion and UV damage.

Wash boat with detergent. Then clean hull with Collinite 920 Fiberglas cleaner then apply a coat of Collinite 885 paste wax. Wait a week to 10 days then apply a second coat of 885 paste wax. The durability (full season) and depth of shine of this wax is impressive.

Once waxed, don’t use detergent to clean. I rarely, if ever use anything but water to clean the boat. If I need to remove a stain, I’ll spot clean with an appropriate cleaner then wax the area once clean.

Waxing beliow the water line is useless because since doesn’t last more than a trip or two. The keep the bottom stain free, I use a bug sprayer full of diluted (~150%) biodegradable hull cleaner around.

When needed, spray the solution on bottom starting at the bow and work my way to the stern. By the time I get to the stern, the solution at the bow has done its magic and it’s time to rinse. In 15 minutes the bottom looks like new again