Bow Roller Damage

G

Was casually walking by the boat in the driveway last week, and saw this (!) Never saw this happen before.

There is no downward pressure from the winch, its a bunk Trailer that the boat has been sitting on for almost 13 years during the restoration procees and 3 years in active service with no issues.

I chocked up the hull with dunnage and got her off the roller,

Then chiseled out the crushed glass and discovered an air-pocket that must have been there since 1972 when she was built.
I've got some Jamestown Distributor THIXO cailkable epoxy to fill the voids, but what procedure should I take to rebuild the missing "cresent" that is now in my hull?

I would like some of you guys to advise me on what type of cloth to use. going to use epoxy resin with Silica to wet the glass out, thinking about adding some high density filler too.

This single point has a lot of weight on it when you're standing on the foredeck of the boat on the trailer, and I have to let her rest on the repaired area again.

Your ideas on how you would approach this are welcome and appriciated, I have some Ideas, but you may have some better ones. Some pretty clever lads here on this page!

Thank You!

. Click image for larger version  Name:	20190119_111642.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	10699305

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd recommend using Thick Epoxy PB and used 1" Biax Fibers along with silica. Once cured it is VERY Dense and will take the weight. Shape It so it pretty much has the contours cuz once cure it's NOT easy to sand and shape. Leave the shape a bit shy of level and then use some 8oz biax fabric and overlay it all with 2 layers. Final fairing and sanding and she'll be good to go. If you use the fast set epoxy you should be able to get this done in 2-4 hours. You'll need to baby sit the work since Epoxy really likes to sag but if you make it thick and use the quick set It shouldn't be to bad.

G

Thank You, WoodonGlass!

I was kinda hoping you'd see this post because, beleive it or not, I thought of you when I found this.

Question:

Is Biax fibers a cloth or is it like kitty hair? (chopped fibers) If so, should I mix it in with my silica and epoxy?

​​​​​​​

G

I've found some 1708 Biax Fiberglass cloth with a 3/4 oz. mat backing. Is this suitable? You mentioned "1" Biax Fibers", but I can't find what you're describing, I'll uses fast settng epoxy hardener in the mix. Making it a PB consistency.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
no need for 1708. It wastes epoxy cuz the CSM stitched to the back soaks it up and really adds no strength to the mix.
17oz plain biax Cut some scraps and pull the fibers apart then cut em to 1" lengths then add some silica and the fibers to the epoxy until it's like chunky peanut butter. Real thick.

G

Thank You, Woodonglass. For you all your help.

I will do just that, and post some pix too.