Carpet Glue

cthomas1978

Recruit
Hi Everyone. This is my first post here, but long time lurker since buying a boat last fall. I purchased a used 20ft Fisher Marsh Hawk 190 bass boat last fall off a guy. Made an unbeatable deal on the boat knowing I'd have some work ahead to restore/fix some things. All cosmetic. The boat itself is rock solid and the Merc 75 starts and runs very well. The biggest issue was the carpet and seats needing to replaced which I begun the process of doing this after thanksgiving.

This boat has all aluminum decking and only two smaller pieces of wood. So, the easiest thing for me was to unscrew the deck and remove from the boat. Then I pulled off the carpet and took a grinder and flap disc to it to remove the glue and get it down to clean, bare metal. This also etched the metal well, which should promote a good adhesion of the new carpet.

I'm finished will all clean up of old glue/carpet and am ready to start installing the new carpet. The question, and sorry for the long initial post, is what would be the best glue to use? I see lots of different answers and opinions on everything. My thoughts are to use a standard outdoor carpet glue on the big deck surfaces, etc, then use contact cement for everything else. My thinking is it will be easier to manage the larger carpet pieces on the decks with a glue thats not instantly stuck on contact.

Is there any recommendations for glues that can be found at the box stores? Lowes or Home Depot? Would hate to run out and have to mail order more type of situation.

Opinions are greatly appreciated!

chevymaher

Commander
This is what i used. Ask my uncle who sold and installed carpet 50 years. He said it be fine. It is the best price I looked up the specs bla bla bla. Been close to a year zero issues. Home Depot sells it.

Carpet hits this stuff it melts the black backing and the fibers themselves are what are glued down. Yes I tried to get a piece off testing it on scrap. It isnt coming off in this lifetime.

Attachments

• photo307298.jpg
    photo307298.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Fleet Farm, amazon....