1985 Ranger 320v Transom- Seacast cost

JCaggie6

Recruit
I purchased this boat for $2000 off of Craigslist in September. I have taken it out about 10 times since then and it has run great! However, I have noticed some flex in the transom lately. I did the hammer test and I believe it is rotten in some areas.

After doing some research, I feel like Seacast or some other kind of pourable is the way to go. I would preferably have a dealer install it; however, there are only 3 in all of Texas that can do it. Do you guys recommend this? Has anyone had a dealer pour Seacast in the transom, and how much was it? Would like a ballpark number of how much it could cost before driving 4 hours round trip to get a quote. Thanks!

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/atffhGL

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
DIY Seacast or Arajay (sp?) or its likely too expensive to be worth while, esp the transom removal work necessary to be able to pour either product.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah , SeaCast is pricey so doing it yourself would save a good bit .
Not that hard really once the motor is off .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you cant afford to take a 34 year old boat in to be re-habbed. the only way to do it is to do it yourself.

assume 60 hours at about $125 per hour if you took it somewhere

not to mention that the stringers will also be rotten yet, and the floor should come out to deal with the water-logged foam

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I did the seacast myself on a silverline with outboard. Never done it before and it was pretty easy. Follow the directions and yes a chainsaw can be used to clean out all the rotted wood and such.. I did just that :) A lot of fun actually. Take yer time and it will be just fine.

JCaggie6

Recruit
Update: I was quoted $2500 for a new arjay transom at the fiberglass shop. That is definitely not happening. BUT- the good news is that the stringers, floor, and rest of the hull are solid. I might do this myself. My only hesitation is using a chainsaw to remove the wood.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have done seacast, I have done a traditional rebuild. seacast is more expensive and about the same amount of work.

did you test drill your stringers and take core samples of your foam? if not, you may want to.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Chainsaw is not a big deal if your comfortable with one in general .. Go slow and you will know when you hit glass .
‘It makes a different sound so you ease up bar .