1994 pro am 170 refloor

vanj85

Cadet
I'm replacing my floor in my 1994 crestliner pro am 170. I'm not sure if I want to put vinyl in it or go back with carpet. I mainly big lake troll with the boat and I think that the vinyl will clean up easier/quicker. the only issue I have is that the side of the boat up to the gunnals are carpeted and not sure how the vinyl will lay with not being able to wrap it. also not sure what brand or mil to use looks like 2 maybe 3 different manufacturer's and a 34 or 80 mil thickness. any insight would be great. attached are the sides I'm talking about.

Attachments

• photo307056.jpg
    photo307056.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo307057.jpg
    photo307057.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo307058.jpg
    photo307058.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo307059.jpg
    photo307059.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are about 5 similar threads going, simply take a look at the threads, read the comments and make your own conclusions.

however prior to your floor covering, you need to take care of floor, stringers, foam, etc.and Transom

Picky fisher

Cadet
I would go with carpet! Cheaper nice on feet not slippery.everyone says carpet rots wood which is true if ya don't take care of your boat but if she's outta the weather she'll be good for years.

vanj85

Cadet
no stingers, transoms raised and is fine and foam is dry. I've searched on here and google but cannot find any answers to the questions I have raised hench the new thread.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sorry if you felt the need to start another thread due to lack of responses. You should remember that the Majority of our members have full time jobs and the forum has literally Hundreds of posts per day so the response times can be slow at times.

Ok no stringers but...the wood bulkheads(cross-members) and the Deck supports are all wood and should be inspected for soft spots and rot. Not sure what you mean by transom raised? Since the sides are carpeted are you planning on leaving the sides of the deck unattached? If so then the you should allow for drainage to the bilge. If the sides are NOT attached then wrapping any vinyl should be easy enuf to do. Personally I like Marideck Vinyl Flooring. A few of our members have used it with great results. Plywood deck MUST be thoroughly sealed with epoxy prior to installing the Vinyl.

vanj85

Cadet
I know all too well the full time job, I put in around 75 hrs a week at mine. no new thread started I understand sometimes it takes a while to get the answers. this is a all aluminum welded boat so the crossmembers and bulk head are aluminum no wood under the deck. the transom does not start until about 18 inches above the drain hole in the back so it never gets water up to it unless plug is left in. the sides are integral to the hull, or actually are the hull so that is where the problem lies, can not remove the side of the boat and pull tight and wrap. I know the wood needs to be epoxy before wrapping that was not my question. can my attached pictures not be seen if so I'll re attach new ones to show what i have been asking about. do you know how big of difference there is between 34 and 80 mil vinyl, besides the extra 46mils..lol.

vanj85

Cadet
after reviewing my previous post I see where you thought I made a new thread after this one. I was responding to Scott danforth about looking at the other 5 threads that supposedly have info about vinyl flooring on them and making my own conclusions not that I made a new thread about my original question about marine vinyl flooring and the characteristics of such flooring coverings.

Picky fisher

Cadet
Remove carpet of sides clean scrape glue off paint stripper it. Surface needs to be clean lightly scuff then your ready for vinyle i would use marideck or nautolex whatever you can get your hands on doesn't matter thickness but i would go a bit thinner.no need to wrap around just use the glue the manufacturer recommends. Alot of labor involved on this job with clean and prep.

vanj85

Cadet
I would like to put vinyl throughout the boat including up the side wall just was not sure how well it would lay. I want to be able to just hose everything down with freshwater wash down out on the lake and run the bilge and have a clean (enough) boat.

Picky fisher

Cadet
If ya like easy cleanin you could always run kemlite from floor and up its an idea! stuff is white but you could paint it.