1985 Proline Classic 20 CC Restore

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am getting ready to paint my 1985 Proline Classic 20" CC. The last time I painted it 4 years ago I used a tractor paint method and paint I learned off of here. I am wanting to use a better paint this time and was wondering what everyones opinion on the Total Boat Wet Edge was. Thanks in advance

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just curious how the tractor paint held up for you? Not familiar with Total Boat paint

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
The tractor paint turned out great held up pretty well considering I fish pretty hard lol. It probably would have held up longer if I would have cleared it but I brushed and rolled it and it did well. There's a thread on here somewhere that details it out and I may possibly go back with it but I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with the total boat

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cant figure out how to post pics on here or I would post one of the finished product

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL I just realized you are the one I got the link to painting with the tractor paint wood...… Awesome thread and thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sooo you used the formula with the added hardener. when you say it held up pretty well what exactly Failed? Where did it fail? What do you think caused it? Just curious since I'm kinda the Big Proponent of it on the forum and I want to be aware of any failures and their causes to ensure that I'm not passing out bad info. Clear coating will help some but really not that much. If the problem areas are High Abrasion prone areas, i.e. keel and Docking areas I'm not sure any paint will withstand that kind of use. this is where Gelcoat has a very distinct advantage.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sooo you used the formula with the added hardener. when you say it held up pretty well what exactly Failed? Where did it fail? What do you think caused it? Just curious since I'm kinda the Big Proponent of it on the forum and I want to be aware of any failures and their causes to ensure that I'm not passing out bad info. Clear coating will help some but really not that much. If the problem areas are High Abrasion prone areas, i.e. keel and Docking areas I'm not sure any paint will withstand that kind of use. this is where Gelcoat has a very distinct advantage.

I guess failed is not a good word for it. It was more or less wear and tear and also in a couple of area's where my prep could have went better on getting old paint off because it eventually cracked underneath the new paint. All in all I was very happy with it and honestly may go back with it on the inside this go around. It was mainly high abrasion area's that became worn from. I have done a lot more prep on this go round just from lessons learned on the last one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
so you didnt prep enough prior?

all paint and gel coat jobs are 95% prep work and 5% applying product.

post some pics.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's good to hear. I've had very good results as have others. Any paint in a high wear area will NOT be as durable as Gelcoat. For inside the boat I'm pretty sure it will stand up very well. As stated PREP IS THE KEY!!! Second that is proper application especially temps and humidity. Gun setup or proper rolling techniques is next.

zool

Captain
Cant speak specifically for Wet Edge, but its just a one part poly, which im not a big fan of. I'd rather use an alkyd enamel like Rustoleum or tractor paint with an enamel hardener, or just go with a 2 part polyurethane.

The benefits I see in the product is the boat specific color selection, and the cold cure formula option if needed.

Rusto marine has similar boat colors and will work with the hardener.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I guess failed is not a good word for it. It was more or less wear and tear and also in a couple of area's where my prep could have went better on getting old paint off because it eventually cracked underneath the new paint.

No mater what you use for paint, you now have to sand down to the point where you should have prior to your last re-paint.

I do agree, the alkyd enamel with hardener would be better than a single part paint.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks I will look s little deeper into it then. I'm wanting to go sea foam green this time versus the fighting lady yellow I went before. Still up in the air though. With either color what would be the best color primer to go with?. I've been trying to read up gray versus white. Haven't really figured anything out.

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo307370.png
    photo307370.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo307370.png
    photo307370.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
White or Gray primer. You know it would be a LOT easier for you and us, if you'd have a moderator combine ALL your threads into one. You're doing one boat and ALL questions can be posted in one spot for ALL your topics.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Look into George Kirby jr. Paints. Great color selections with the same base as rustoleum. So you can still use wog formula. Also note the formula has been slightly altered for better results as of late.
I'm happy with my results.
kirbypaint.com

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
White or Gray primer. You know it would be a LOT easier for you and us, if you'd have a moderator combine ALL your threads into one. You're doing one boat and ALL questions can be posted in one spot for ALL your topics.

Ok how do I get a moderator too do that

Scott Danforth

Staff member
flag your own post, when the window pops up, put a note in there for the mods to combine your threads