Best way to patch a small hole in the side wall of 25' Crest pontoon boat

TPKK0425

Recruit
My neighbor at our marina hit the side of my boat while pulling out, it left a dent and a small puncture in the outer skin. I am assuming the outer coating on the metal skin is gel coat, is this correct? If so what is the best way to repair it?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
If your talking about on the metal pontoon itself then no, it wouldn't be gelcoat. Gelcoat is only used of polyester resin in fiberglass composites. If its over metal, its most likely just paint or powder coating with the most likely being the paint.

If theres a hole, you will want to get it welded shut by a good welder since its probably aluminum and thin. If someone attempts to do it that isn't qualified, they will blow a bigger hole than is currently there. They should also be able to smooth out the dented area and get it pretty close to ready for paint. Once the repair is done, you will need to finish sanding and possibly apply some fairing compound to get the blemish to disappear before paint. Then use a good zinc chromate or zinc phosphate primer over the area to allow the paint to stick to the bare metal. Then try to match the current paint. Probably won't look absolutely perfect, but shouldn't be able to tell from 10' if you do it well.

Maybe someone will chime in with a better idea, but thats how I'd go about it.

TPKK0425

Recruit
It's not in the pontoon, if it were that would be easy as I have all the equipment to weld aluminum. Crest has double wall panel with insulation in between. It looks more like a thin layer of gel coat on the outside and then paint. I am not worried about matching the paint as it hit on one of the vinyl graphics so I will just cover it back up with vinyl. I don't want water getting into the panel and soaking the insulation. I was thinking I would pop the small dent out and just fill the hole with gel coat or a light bondo, I don't want to weld the panel due to the foam insulation.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Ahh, then yea, if its above the waterline, you have lots of options (epoxy, bondo, rivet panel with 5200 etc.) depending on how well you wanna hide it.

Personally, I would fill with epoxy based filler/fairing compound and sand smooth paint to help hide and seal the epoxy from UV, then cover back up with vinyl.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it could be a decal. would not be gel

post a pic

most likely best way may simply be to hammer and dolly the dent out and put a decal over it.