2000 Alumacraft 185 Trophy Transom Replacement

TommyVM

Cadet
Well I have searched on here for answers to my specific questions, but have not found any. I am starting to tear into my boat to replace the transom on my Alumacraft 185 Trophy. I have the motor off and most of the fasteners removed, but I can't get to the backside of the last ten bolts. They are behind the battery compartment and livewell and there is another vertical piece of aluminum behind these anyways. I sent an email to Alumacraft asking for more information and they told me I have to remove the splash well and basically the whole aft end of the boat. Not sure if I am over my head or not on this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo306659.jpg
    photo306659.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 6
  • photo306660.jpg
    photo306660.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 6
  • photo306661.jpg
    photo306661.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 6
  • photo306662.jpg
    photo306662.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5

Picky fisher

Cadet
If ya can't see the nut on the back side of the transom then you must continue to disassemble the boat until visible. Sounds like you already no that ya have to remove splash well to access the hidden fasteners. Take lots of pics for refrence and take your time on the process.if your unsure of anything take some more pics and post them i am sure alot of guys can offer advice to help ya.

TommyVM

Cadet
Well I have been a little frustrated lately and am finally getting back to this again. I took the covers off the battery box and the livewell in order to get a better idea of how the back of this boat is put together. The splashwell is not mechanically fastened to the sides and the inside transom skin, but with some kind of epoxy or 3M sealant. I am worried about the rivets holding the motor support and removing these. It also looks like the area I am trying to get into for the back of the remaining transom bolts is filled with foam.

Attachments

• photo307214.jpg
    photo307214.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 16
  • photo307215.jpg
    photo307215.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 13
  • photo307216.jpg
    photo307216.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 13
  • photo307217.jpg
    photo307217.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 11
  • photo307218.jpg
    photo307218.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 13

Blue Fin 19

Recruit
Well I have searched on here for answers to my specific questions, but have not found any. I am starting to tear into my boat to replace the transom on my Alumacraft 185 Trophy. I have the motor off and most of the fasteners removed, but I can't get to the backside of the last ten bolts. They are behind the battery compartment and livewell and there is another vertical piece of aluminum behind these anyways. I sent an email to Alumacraft asking for more information and they told me I have to remove the splash well and basically the whole aft end of the boat. Not sure if I am over my head or not on this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My aluminum transom was weak and did not leak so I merely used stainless threaded rod as the top 2 bolts holding my 300 lb motor. I welded a nut to one end as a hex head and then ran the rod through the transom and the splash well directly in front for added support. I placed a nut at the front of the transom and inside the splash well. Adding a block of wood to fit inside splash well for added support helps as well. I covered the exposed threaded rod with black irrigation tubing during assembly for a smooth surface. It has worked perfectly! And So Much Easier!

Last edited:

Picky fisher

Cadet
Looking at your first pic you have along way to go still with dismantling. Those motor mounts need to be drilled out and re-riveted when re-assembled. That transom goes along way down its to bad shes gone bad its a shame cause the boat isn't that old.when u get all the stuff taken out on back hopefully u can swing out the old transom without having to mess with gunnels.

jbcurt00

Staff member
BlueFin's easier method isnt recommended, esp if the transom plywood is soft.....

TommyVM

Cadet
Well after a year I finally got back to the boat project. I was able after a couple of days work to finally get the rotten transom wood out. It wasn't pretty and I hacked up the aluminum pretty good getting through the many screws Alumacraft used to assemble this boat. Now I may regret getting this deep into it as I have found out the aluminum is very corroded. These pictures were taken right after I got it apart. I took the wire wheel to the corrosion and cleaned it up some. Some of the pits are pretty deep and may be completely through.

What do you suggest to stop the corrosion and fill in the pitting?

Attachments

• photo324795.jpg
    photo324795.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 14
  • photo324796.jpg
    photo324796.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 14
  • photo324797.jpg
    photo324797.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 15
  • photo324798.jpg
    photo324798.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 15

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the pits are deeper than .020", you will need to have a new transom skin made

TommyVM

Cadet
Well the transom is glued up and now I am trying to get it to fit back in the boat. Had to do a little more destruction of the gunwale on one one side to fit the transom back in. Was about 4" short of getting it back into the boat, I guess I need to do a little shaping to get it to fit. I used PC-Products PC-11 Two-Part Marine Grade epoxy to patch the transom skin. Bought the West resin, to seal the transom, once I can get it to fit again. Hopefully I will be ready to go fishing soon, once the ice melts.

Attachments

• photo325576.jpg
    photo325576.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo325588.jpg
    photo325588.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 9
  • photo325589.jpg
    photo325589.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

TommyVM

Cadet
Also installed new bilge and live well pumps since it was wide open and easier to install now rather than after assembly. Would have been just my luck to crap out one of the old pumps after getting this all put back together!

Attachments

• photo325577.jpg
    photo325577.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 3

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry I jumped in late.......

Ive seen the rotted wood easily removed with an electric chainsaw

Aluminum corrosion I used wire wheel and dilute vinegar wash then wiped down with water
Coat with rust proof primer........I covered mine with an old can of Gluevit

Web says:
  • Scrub away any rust on the surface of the aluminum with a steel wool pad. ...
  • Apply a rust remover to the aluminum using a steel wool pad. ...
  • Leave the rust remover on the aluminum for five to 10 minutes. ...
  • Wipe the rust remover off with rags or paper towels. ...
  • Paint on a rust-proof primer for metals with a paint brush

Aluminum Corrosion requires oxygen

New Screws should be stainless

I coated both sides of my new wood with 3M 5200 before sliding in the cavity

I installed a backup bilge pump while i had:D the floors up....wired it to to my trolling battery using the "float" option. Cheap insurance as i have my boat moored in the Summer

Looking at your shop you are a regular at Harbor Freight as am I ............. I think I have 50 of those blue LED flashlights

;)

Keep in mid when replacing and locating fasteners/brackets in your new transom that the outboard motor pushes forward on the transom