2000 Alumacraft 185 Trophy Transom Replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Alumacraft 185 Trophy Transom Replacement

Well I have searched on here for answers to my specific questions, but have not found any. I am starting to tear into my boat to replace the transom on my Alumacraft 185 Trophy. I have the motor off and most of the fasteners removed, but I can't get to the backside of the last ten bolts. They are behind the battery compartment and livewell and there is another vertical piece of aluminum behind these anyways. I sent an email to Alumacraft asking for more information and they told me I have to remove the splash well and basically the whole aft end of the boat. Not sure if I am over my head or not on this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely rotted!

If ya can't see the nut on the back side of the transom then you must continue to disassemble the boat until visible. Sounds like you already no that ya have to remove splash well to access the hidden fasteners. Take lots of pics for refrence and take your time on the process.if your unsure of anything take some more pics and post them i am sure alot of guys can offer advice to help ya.

Comment

Well I have been a little frustrated lately and am finally getting back to this again. I took the covers off the battery box and the livewell in order to get a better idea of how the back of this boat is put together. The splashwell is not mechanically fastened to the sides and the inside transom skin, but with some kind of epoxy or 3M sealant. I am worried about the rivets holding the motor support and removing these. It also looks like the area I am trying to get into for the back of the remaining transom bolts is filled with foam.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyVM View Post
        Well I have searched on here for answers to my specific questions, but have not found any. I am starting to tear into my boat to replace the transom on my Alumacraft 185 Trophy. I have the motor off and most of the fasteners removed, but I can't get to the backside of the last ten bolts. They are behind the battery compartment and livewell and there is another vertical piece of aluminum behind these anyways. I sent an email to Alumacraft asking for more information and they told me I have to remove the splash well and basically the whole aft end of the boat. Not sure if I am over my head or not on this job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        My aluminum transom was weak and did not leak so I merely used stainless threaded rod as the top 2 bolts holding my 300 lb motor. I welded a nut to one end as a hex head and then ran the rod through the transom and the splash well directly in front for added support. I placed a nut at the front of the transom and inside the splash well. Adding a block of wood to fit inside splash well for added support helps as well. I covered the exposed threaded rod with black irrigation tubing during assembly for a smooth surface. It has worked perfectly! And So Much Easier!
        Last edited by Blue Fin 19; January 21st, 2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Looking at your first pic you have along way to go still with dismantling. Those motor mounts need to be drilled out and re-riveted when re-assembled. That transom goes along way down its to bad shes gone bad its a shame cause the boat isn't that old.when u get all the stuff taken out on back hopefully u can swing out the old transom without having to mess with gunnels.

Comment

BlueFin's easier method isnt recommended, esp if the transom plywood is soft.....
            Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Working...
            X